Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with My Computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 westie

westie

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 01 June 2004 - 04:35 PM

After re-booting my PC, for about 2 minutes the My Computer window will not open. All I get is the flaslight indicating 'searching'.
Anyone any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Plimsol_*

Guest_Plimsol_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 June 2004 - 04:47 PM

Does this happen if you reboot your computer and use your computer for a while and then try opening my computer? Or does this only happen right after you reboot your computer and you log in?

#3 westie

westie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2004 - 05:32 PM

No, as soon as I reboot my PC My Computer will not open, all I get is the flashlight. After about 5 minutes My Computer opens, and continues to open perfectly until my next reboot.
Also, for some reason it takes about 1 minute for my NTL 1mb cable internet connection to work. Previously, it has always connected as soon as I boot up my PC, no one minute wait it connected immeditely.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,592 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:09 PM

You have it set for My Computer to open automatically when you boot into your computer without actually double-clicking on my computer? I am just trying to understand what is happening.

Do you have any mapped network drives in my computer in which the drives are no longer reachable anymore?

#5 westie

westie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 02 June 2004 - 01:27 AM

No, the setting is default. My Computer will open only when I double click after reboot.

#6 westie

westie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2004 - 01:29 AM

Regarding the mapped network drives, i dont think so.

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,592 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2004 - 09:32 AM

It could be that you are trying to open my computer before your computer has finished loading everything. When your computer reboots it loads various programs automatically. Even after you see the desktop this loading process continues until all the programs it is supposed to load finishes. if you try to launch a program, even my computer, while it is doing so it can take a while to load.

Next time this happens make sure that your hard drive is still not going a lot, should be able to see a flashing light on the front of your computer which signified hard disk activity. If it is still going a lot, that is probasbly why it takes a while to load my computer. Wait until the lhard drive stops to launch my computer and see if it is better.

#8 motowngrl

motowngrl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 03 July 2004 - 09:20 AM

I had the same problem. It may be related to having an HP ScanJet 5400 scanner and/or having Windows Imaging Acquistion (WIA) service turned on.

See Microsoft Knowledge Base article # 81917 at http://support.microsoft.com

To stop the WIA service:
1. Open Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Component Services
2. Click Services, in the Services (Local) list scroll down and then right-click Windows Imaging Acquisition , then click Stop

If you have an HP ScanJet 3400C, or 5400/5470C, unplug the scanner then restart XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users