Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG finds Trojan horse Small.FHT

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 gypsybiz

gypsybiz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

An AVG scan this morning turned up a threat. It was labeled as Trojan Horse Small FHT, C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\MsMpEng.exe (1084). AVG reported the threat as removed however a subsequesnt scan finds it again. I am running Windows 7 Home Edition Premium with Firefox browser. All windows updates as well as virus definitions are up to date. Please advise on removal instructions. Thanks so much! I have successfully used these forums in the past and really appreciate the help you offer!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aharonov

aharonov

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:33 AM

Hi there,

is Microsoft Security Essentials running in parallel to AVG on your computer..?

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.
(If you are not sure which version (32-/64-bit) applies to your system, download and try to start both of them as just the right one will run.)
  • Start FRST with administator privileges.
  • Make sure the option Addition.txt is checked and press the Scan button.
  • When finished, FRST will produce two logs (FRST.txt and Addition.txt) in the same directory the tool was run from.
  • Please copy and paste these logs in your next reply.

#3 gypsybiz

gypsybiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:14 AM

aharonv,

I am running Microsoft Security Essentials AND AVG on my computer. I went through an extensive removal scenario yesterday as suggested at

MajorGeeks.com   

I scanned twice since doing that with AVG and both came up clean. I downloaded and ran as administrator the Farbar RST this AM and am

attaching those logs. Thanks so much again for your help!

Gypsybiz~

Attached Files

#4 aharonov

aharonov

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,441 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

Hi,

you shouldn't run two antivirus programs in parallel. They might interfere with each other and effectively provide less security and not more. If you look at what AVG has found it turns out that this is a file that belongs to Microsoft Security Essentials and is a false detection. So I would highly recommend to keep only one of AVG or MSE and uninstall the other program.
Your logs look clean. I don't see any indication that your computer is infected.

#5 gypsybiz

gypsybiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

Good Afternoon aharonov,

Do you have a personal preference as to which anti-virus is best Microsoft Security Essentials or AVG?

Should I just uninstall one? Thanks for taking a look at things for me.

#6 aharonov

aharonov

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,441 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:30 PM

Hi,

no I don't have a preference, they both do the job. No antivirus program is perfect anyway.
Just keep the one you like better and uninstall the other program.

#7 gypsybiz

gypsybiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

Thank you for all your help! I truly appreciate it.

Gypsy biz

#8 aharonov

aharonov

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,441 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

You're welcome. :)

#9 aharonov

aharonov

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,441 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users