Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer is broken in so many ways it won't fit in this box.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Izzye

Izzye

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:12 AM

I appologise in advance for the inevitable rant and will try to keep it as short as possible.

About 2 months ago, having had to replace the HDD in my desktop, I had to reinstall my OS, XP Pro x32, but I only had a recovery disk so I used that to reinstall thinking I'd get Dad to email me the activation key for it later, only to discover I'd been using a disk for an ancient machine which has since been scrapped/dismantled/taken to the tip/is lounging in the computer graveyard of our attic. I had about 16 days left to activate it when it stopped letting me log in so I got a copy of a friend's VLK XP Pro and tried to recover my OS with that. Which sort of worked. After 3 attempts I booted up the computer to see whether it had actually done anything and I could log in but half my stuff, including all my virus, adware and malware checkers and firewall weren't working. At all. So now I have a ton of viruses I'm sure, I managed to get rid of two adware things but haven't seen anything else. Whilst messing around pulling HDDs in and out and booting off Windows/Ubuntu 10.10 live disk about 30 times during the course of yesterday trying to recover my boyfriend's Suse HDD something in Chrome broke and I had to uninstall it. Thought it would be super simple to rectify, download the installer onto another computer, copy it across and run it. Only I can't run any installers, they just don't work. Reactivaed IE, won't work, discovered I could use the internet through the search the internet function on My Computer but only through Bing and it won't download anything through that so basically I now have a totally broken computer that I can't recover due to lack of working disk and can't back up onto the internet and there is absoloutely no way I am going to plug my ext HDD into it if it doesn't have working antivirus checkers.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could possibly do to fix it, or is it utterly beyond repair at this point and needs to be destroyed and reinstalled?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,465 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:09 AM

Unless I'm mistaken, you have not installed a LEGAL copy of Windows on your system. You are not permitted to install using a recovery disc from another computer or using someone else's copy. Assuming I'm correct, the best and only advice I can offer is that you purchase a full copy of Windows, format your hard drive, and install the new version.

#3 Izzye

Izzye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:50 AM

I wasn't entirely sure as to the legality of using the recovery disk as it is mine but from a computer that no longer exists but I was assured that recovering it with the VLK disk would make it legal, although it's now just confused and can't work out whether it's legal or not. I'm going to format my drive once the backup has finished and then go pick up an official copy that I'm posisitve is legal from a friend to do a clean install and hopefully I won't have any more problems.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,465 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:58 AM

Volume License Keys cannot be shared indiscriminately. If they could, why would anyone pay for a copy of Windows? You could just borrow the one VLK copy that was paid for :wink:

#5 Izzye

Izzye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

I was given it by a friend of mine who told me that as long as he registered it with Microsoft under his business it would be legal. Is that not true? It didn't work anyway, it did more damage than good so I'm not going to use it again.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,465 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:27 AM

Volume License Keys cannot be shared indiscriminately. If they could, why would anyone pay for a copy of Windows? You could just borrow the one VLK copy that was paid for :wink:

Edited by Allan, 20 February 2014 - 09:29 AM.

#7 Izzye

Izzye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

Then what's the point of a business having one if they can't distribute it to every computer they set up or repair?

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,465 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:06 AM

I don't know who your friend is or what his licensing agreement covers, but I doubt it includes friends who don't have an OS disc of their own. Having said that, I really don't want to get into a discussion or argument over this - I'm not a lawyer for Microsoft. Let's just try to get your system back in shape - and as I suggested above, the best way is for you to obtain your own copy of Windows and start from scratch.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

I was given it by a friend of mine who told me that as long as he registered it with Microsoft under his business it would be legal. Is that not true? It didn't work anyway, it did more damage than good so I'm not going to use it again.

Regardless of what anyone may have told you...and which you want to accept as truth...as previously stated, your current install is illegal and violates the Microsoft terms of use tor that license.

It is not a purpose of this website or this forum...to debate the legality of installs...or to change your mind.  We don't have to convince you of anything, merely quote the legal aspects involved.

Since you have an illegal install of Windows, that is a violation of forum rules and, regrettable though it might be...we will not be able to assist you with your situation.