Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ip adress

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cardinalfan1

cardinalfan1

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:41 AM

May be dumb question but why do my router and modem have two different routable IP addresses? also is it possible to log into my modem and check settings like a router?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cardinalfan1

cardinalfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:47 AM

I have a cable broadband connection

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:34 AM

not sure what you mean, how would you know if you don't know how to surf in? what is the make and model of both? 192.168.100.1 normally will connect you to your modem but not always.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 cardinalfan1

cardinalfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

I am sorry. I was not clear in the question. I am wondering why I see 2 routable ip addresses. 1 for my cable modem. A Cisco dpc3110 3.0 and 1 for my router. A Netgear Wndr3400. I know the router ip address is the gateway address. I was wondering how the IP address for the cable modem factors in.

The other question refers to the fact that I can log into the Netgear and change configurations, but I was wondering if there was a way to get inside the cable modem and see configurations.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

a router's job is to separate networks, your modem takes the signal from your cable company, interrupts it and feeds that to your router.  think of your router as a wall: on one side is the modem and the internet and on the other is your network. What happens is the information from your network is encapsulated as it passes through the wall and to the internet looks it like there is only 1 computer with the IP address that your cable company gives you. No matter how many you have or if they're all surfing the PCs and that wall keep it straight.

So on your side you see 192.168.x.x(normally) but to the outside world they see 208.57.154.12(for example)  The 192.168.x.x is not routable. Hence the encapsulation to the 208.x.x.x.

There are no configurations you can do to your modem but try 192.168.100.1 it might work to have a look. 

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 cardinalfan1

cardinalfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

Yeah I realize that but I was wondering about after it passes through the gateway(router) and uses the routable ip address it must pass through the modem  at that point. Does that change my routable IP addresses to that of the modem which is different from the routable (not 192.168.1.1) ip address of the router(200.12.13.68  example) ?

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:31 PM

No because as far as the modem knows your router is just a computer and it assigns the IP address from your ISP. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users