Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Think I Am Infected

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 katungas

katungas

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 06:18 AM

please help. i have run ad-aware, spybot, ewido and clearhouse (a few others i got online from majorgeeks.com links). ewido found some cookies, but other than that i have nothing new (the usual dso exploit from spybot). i am running in safe mode right now as the admin. the user name won't even work in safemode! i have done a hijack this scan but nothing seems strange, then again i am no computer wiz.

a little background. worked fine one night, the next day i wasn't able to open ANY programs. my neighbor lent me his travel drive with spybot on it, and it would freeze up. i left the computer with my neighbor and he had no luck either, he said what ever i have has also infected my norton anti-virus. last week my boyfriend downloaded some sort of "myspace tracker" and that is the only thing that i can think that is doing this. yet i can't find it!

please help me! thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 06:32 AM

Hi katungas and :thumbsup: to BC.

Can you get System restore?

If yes go and restore your computer to a date before those things happen to you.

Regards

Darthy

P.S. Tell me something after.
Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

#3 katungas

katungas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 06:34 AM

hi darthy, thanks for the response. excuse my ignorance, but where is system restore?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 06:38 AM

Hello katungas

Have you tried any on-line scans? If not then try the following:
[Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.]
Trend Micro Housecall Scan
Panda ActiveScan [ActiveScan Panda does not remove adware/spyware but will autoclean for viruses & worms.]
a-squared Web Malware Scanner

You mentioned using Hijackthis and not seeing anything strange. Unless you have been trained in what to look for, I would not recommend that you rely on your own observations. While most of the entries are legit, others could be malware related without you realizing it.

If the above scans do not help I suggest you read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log.

When you have done that, post a log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, not here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts.

It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy. Please be patient as they are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have no replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response, a team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 katungas

katungas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 06:59 AM

hi quietman thanks for the tips, i am going to run panda now, i was a bit taken back by the look of it, but i will try it.

i did a system restore darthy, and it looked like it was going to work, i was able to log on to micosoft office, but still no online ability. and i froze up during office.

also when i attempt to log out i get an error message that states i didn't close a "capp" program (?)

i'll post again after panda runs! thanks for all your help!

#6 Darthy

Darthy

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:08 AM

Hi katungas

System restore isin the System32.

Go to My computer/Windows XP/Windows/system32/Restore/rstrui.exe

Click on rstrui.exe and after will appear you a window where you click in next.

Go to the calendar and choose a dte before those things happen to you and click next.

Your Windows will shut everything automatically and will appear an horizontal bar that make you know the

status of the task.

You have only to wait that the were complete.

Regards

Darthy
Thanks John

#7 Darthy

Darthy

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:09 AM

If anything happen do what quietman7 tells you to do.

Regards

Darthy
Thanks John

#8 katungas

katungas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:41 AM

okay just finished the pandascan. it found 10 spywares and 3 adwares. i have ordered the panda softwae and am now waiting on it to be emailed to me. i'll keep you updated! thanks again for everyones help.

#9 katungas

katungas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:37 AM

i just created a new user account and everything works fine on it. its only my user account (the only account on my computer until i created this new one) that is having problems. i posted a hijack this log, but i wonder it's not something related, seeing as i can do things with a new account?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users