Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

r9 270x vs 770

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 xXxexpertxXx

xXxexpertxXx

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:58 AM

i was at canada computers and they recommended the 270x for me for bf4. But in general what one will perform better on max settings for any game? will the 270 be fine or should i return it? How much better is the 770? is it ALOT better.. i want to make sure im going to run any game on max settings with no lag at all say. ATLEAST 30++ FPS!

Edited by hamluis, 20 February 2014 - 08:16 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:14 AM

Both cards will have no problem running that game on high. However, It doesn't all rest on the video card alone, it also depends on the system overall. The Geforce GTX 770 will do a little bit more than the R9. The Geforce also costs more and eats up 240watts vs 180watts for the R9. Again a older system's PSU may not handle the increased load. There is a lot of factors to think about.

#3 xXxexpertxXx

xXxexpertxXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

Ok, and what about my other post.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/524956/duel-video-cards/

Edited by xXxexpertxXx, 20 February 2014 - 10:43 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

There are two ways to run dual graphics cards, SLI and Crossfire (now called CrossfireX).

The following is an excerpt from an article at Lifehacker.

To run SLI or Crossfire on your system, you need a few things: a compatible motherboard, two compatible video cards, and a "bridge" that connects the two cards together (these usually come with your motherboard or video cards). In SLI, you need two cards that have the same GPU—for example, two GTX 560 Tis. They don't have to be from the same manufacturer, they just have to both be GTX 560 Tis. Crossfire has a bit more wiggle room, allowing you to pair some GPUs with other similar cards—like a Radeon 7950 with a Radeon 7970. To see which cards are compatible with one another, check out NVIDIA's SLI page and AMD's Crossfire page. Tom's Hardware also has a great FAQ if you're interested in finding out more.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 xXxexpertxXx

xXxexpertxXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

Both cards will have no problem running that game on high. However, It doesn't all rest on the video card alone, it also depends on the system overall. The Geforce GTX 770 will do a little bit more than the R9. The Geforce also costs more and eats up 240watts vs 180watts for the R9. Again a older system's PSU may not handle the increased load. There is a lot of factors to think about.

ok how MUCH better is the 770 and does it suppport mantel? if not am I not better off to go with the 270x the which I have now because it supporrts mantel..

#6 xXxexpertxXx

xXxexpertxXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

i am looking at the 770 specs versus the 270. I notice from here

Stream Processors 1280 Core Clock 1020 MHz Memory Size 2GB Memory Type GDDR5 Memory Clock 5600 MHz

1536 Core Clock 1059 MHz Memory Size 2GB Memory Type GDDR5 Memory Clock

7010 MHz

So my question is, what makes the 770 better? is it because of the memory clock speed? or core clock. If i were to say... overclock my 270 to match the 770's core clock and memory clock (if possible) or close to it, would my 270 preform JUST as good as the 770? reason why im asking all these questions is because it will cost me an extra $100 to get the other card and if i return the 270 they will charge me a %15 restocking fee. So i would rather overclock Just while im gaming... i know how to overclock just wondering if it would make it just as good as the 770. if i matched the core clock and memory clock.. thank you again for help

Edited by xXxexpertxXx, 20 February 2014 - 06:19 PM.

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:07 AM

i am looking at the 770 specs versus the 270. I notice from here

Stream Processors 1280 Core Clock 1020 MHz Memory Size 2GB Memory Type GDDR5 Memory Clock 5600 MHz

1536 Core Clock 1059 MHz Memory Size 2GB Memory Type GDDR5 Memory Clock

7010 MHz

So my question is, what makes the 770 better? is it because of the memory clock speed? or core clock. If i were to say... overclock my 270 to match the 770's core clock and memory clock (if possible) or close to it, would my 270 preform JUST as good as the 770? reason why im asking all these questions is because it will cost me an extra $100 to get the other card and if i return the 270 they will charge me a %15 restocking fee. So i would rather overclock Just while im gaming... i know how to overclock just wondering if it would make it just as good as the 770. if i matched the core clock and memory clock.. thank you again for help

To answer your question for post 5. Mantle drivers are AMD drivers built to help get better performance for lower grade system's. A lot of these benchmarks was done on high performance I7 systems. Geforce gets better performance simply because it has higher cpu cores and higher clocks both cpu and memory. Yes, overclocking your card will make it perform more. Will it pull more than Geforce 770 being OCed? Who knows. It all depends on the system overall. To me it makes more sense to save the money and put it towarads getting into a better system.

#8 xXxexpertxXx

xXxexpertxXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:26 PM

ok for price wise. the 760 is about as much as the r9 270! lets compare. is the r9270 better then the 760? the same or worse?

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

Is it worth getting a 760? Probably not. http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-270X-vs-GeForce-GTX-760 Again your lack of performance is probably due to the overall system bottleknecking the video card. Hardware changes so rapidly that 3-6 months from now all of this will be obsolete. That's why I say save your money.

Edited by technonymous, 22 February 2014 - 11:25 AM.

#10 xXxexpertxXx

xXxexpertxXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:37 AM

im not saying i have problems running games. bf4 runs at 60 fps average ALL MAX SETTINGS! crysis 3 runs at max settings with shadows at low.! at 60 fps! why does shadows always bleep up fps? (this is all at stock clock speeds)

Edited by xXxexpertxXx, 23 February 2014 - 01:38 AM.

#11 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:57 AM

im not saying i have problems running games. bf4 runs at 60 fps average ALL MAX SETTINGS! crysis 3 runs at max settings with shadows at low.! at 60 fps! why does shadows always bleep up fps? (this is all at stock clock speeds)

Dynamic shadows is hard on the video cards. It's extra rendering and takes more process power, memory ect to make it look good. It has to move and perform along side the 3D objects. It's just the nature of the beast. I imagine over the years video cards and graphics engines will remedy that problem.

Edited by technonymous, 23 February 2014 - 03:58 AM.

#12 xXxexpertxXx

xXxexpertxXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:28 PM

Dynamic shadows is hard on the video cards. It's extra rendering and takes more process power, memory ect to make it look good. It has to move and perform along side the 3D objects. It's just the nature of the beast. I imagine over the years video cards and graphics engines will remedy that problem.

thanks for the response! technonymous also another question..

I am in the middle of overlocking. Got a stable clock right now for my r9 270x. My questions is, What settings deals more with the VIDEO graphics? Memory clock or core clock? im already at 5800 for memory clock. and am wondering what will give me MORE fps uping the core clock or upping memory! just want to know the difference. thanks alot!

ALSO! JUST SO YOU GUYS KNOW I WAS SUPPOSE TO COMPRE THE R9 270X TO THE 760 NOT 770! thats my bad cant change the title now. i was trying to compare the 270x to the 760 not 770..

Edited by xXxexpertxXx, 23 February 2014 - 01:30 PM.

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

id stay with the 270, if I were to upgrade to a different card instead of going nvidia id go for the 280 or 290 myself. the 760 (or 770) will run the games in question just fine, but so will the 270.

As far as video card overclocking, to my understanding it doesn't increase the image quality of the card regardless of what you overclock, but it does increase the frame rate and 3d rendering depending on what you overclock. Im sure someone else can give you a better idea, as I personally don't believe in overclocking, if the card I have now doesn't do what I want it to I will either replace it with a more powerful one or crossfire it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#14 xXxexpertxXx

xXxexpertxXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:09 AM

id stay with the 270, if I were to upgrade to a different card instead of going nvidia id go for the 280 or 290 myself. the 760 (or 770) will run the games in question just fine, but so will the 270.

As far as video card overclocking, to my understanding it doesn't increase the image quality of the card regardless of what you overclock, but it does increase the frame rate and 3d rendering depending on what you overclock. Im sure someone else can give you a better idea, as I personally don't believe in overclocking, if the card I have now doesn't do what I want it to I will either replace it with a more powerful one or crossfire it.

Ok i am probably going change out my video card when july comes. to Something thats high end when that time comes. In the mean time i am wondering what settings is more beneficial for FPS in game. Memory clock or core clock. :|)

Edited by xXxexpertxXx, 24 February 2014 - 11:51 AM.

#15 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:14 PM

Ok i am probably going change out my video card when july comes. to Something thats high end when that time comes. In the mean time i am wondering what settings is more beneficial for FPS in game. Memory clock or core clock. :|)

The core of course is most important it does all the rendering and computations. However, the higher the resolution and quality the more ram is needed. Also not having a cpu to handle all that and you're back to square one again. More larger amounts of ram will probably not OC as much. In some cases OCing ram is worse because then your shoving all this graphics down the cpu's throat and it chokes and drops frames.

Edited by technonymous, 24 February 2014 - 09:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users