Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird POST hang.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Daphinium

Daphinium

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

Quick specs :

Operating System

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 965
Deneb 45nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 573MHz (8-8-8-20)
Motherboard
ASRock 970 Extreme3 (CPUSocket) 31 °C
Graphics
DELL ST2421L (1920x1080@60Hz)
1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (EVGA)
Storage
27GB OCZ VERTEX PLUS ATA Device (SSD)
223GB KINGSTON SVP200S3240G ATA Device (SSD)
931GB Seagate ST31000340AS ATA Device (SATA)
931GB Seagate ST31000340AS ATA Device (SATA)

Now I'm having an odd error with my POST. Whenever I turn my computer on it will pop to the bios and hang. It wont continue to boot unless I press a key on the keyboard, No key specifically however. I had a random day where this no longer occurred and it booted fine, but nothing since then. Also ever since this has occurred I've had no onboard sound/input for microphone (when its plugged in it says otherwise). I've been having to use HDMI sound through my videocard.

Things I've tried : Reinstalled OS, Reset CMOS, Reset UEFI/BIOS, Removed BIOS battery for 15 mins let it sit. Reseated all devices Ram/Video/PCIE/CPU.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:28 PM

First of all, welcome to BC !

Reseated all devices Ram/Video/PCIE/CPU.

This has got virtually nothing to do directly with your present problem - but when you reseated the CPU did you clean the top surface and the bottom of the heatsink and replace the thermal paste ?  If you didn't, then you should do so as a matter of some urgency.

With regard to your booting problem, is your SSD listed in the boot priority menu as the first device, or equally well, as second device after a CD/DVD drive ?

When you took the CMOS battery out, I would have been inclined to replace it. If it is the common 2032 type, they are not expensive, and while they are commonly good for up to five years or thereabouts (note to self - yours is due replacement !) you can never know how long it was in store before it was fitted to your motherboard. And it is well known that  batteries like this when nearly discharged can cause some weird faults.

With regard to your microphone problem, if you have a look at your audio in Device Manager, are there any exclamation marks or other warning symbols against it ?  Once you have sorted out your boot problem, uninstalling and re-installing your sound drivers might be worth doing.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

Also to note, when you took out your battery, did you also remember to disconnect the power supply from the wall to remove any power from the system?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users