Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FLASHING BIOS IN A DELL PC

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:18 PM

HI,I still can not get into BIOS on my dell e521,still locked out i have another e521 that i used to make sure that when i went into the BIOS i wrote it down as it was setup.

I can not get into boot menu.

When i try to bootup PC all it does is go a screen with the make of MOBO  and i was wondering i went to the DELL web site i could flash the BIOS and that will reset this PC to factory defaults.

Edited by LOVEMYPC, 19 February 2014 - 09:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:14 AM

What do you mean locked out? Does it freezes during early bootup? Continues to boot in Windows despite pressing the correct key?

Tekken

#3 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:03 AM

HI,When i turn PC on i get the F-2 & F-12 on the screen if do not do anything but let it continue it goes straight to MOBO info and will not bootup.

When i go into BIOS and check all of items in there i can see both of my HDD'S and make any changes i want,wrote down what was the original setup in BIOS.

I checked all of the connections on MOBO,pulled and re-installed ram,put one HDD on SATA 0,one on SATA1,pulled CMOS battery once for a few minutes,once for a few hours,once for all night did not make a difference,CMOS battery voltage was 2.97.

This all started when i bought a WIN7 builders install disk& a SSDH HDD and tried to install same,i made a point of touching an unpainted surface for static.

I just went to the room where it was at and watched the lights on front of PC and this what i saw,lights 2&4 came on,then lights 2&3 came on and the little clyinder

came on flashing off and on then went off,lights 1,2&3 came on and stayed on,also DVD player flashed at startup,no # 4 light,then it goes to screen with MOBO info.

I also got a DBQ notice while in BIOS,but that now is gone.

I downloaded several programs on a flash drive but they can not get past the no boot problem,that just maybe because i may not know to get it to work as i have not used one before,but when i was in BIOS i made it as the first boot item as a zip drive still did not wor,it is probalay something simple&stupid that i did by thinking installing a OS was really simple.

This PC is a DELL E521,WINXP,SP3,4GB RAM,3.0 Mhz,GT 610 GPU its an old PC but can not buy a newer one just yet,i also pulled and re-installed GPU.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:13 AM

You can try resetting the bios to default by either using the boards jumper (you will need a board diagram) or removing the battery for a minute or two. be sure to ground yourself by touching the chassis before you touch any thing also it must be disconnected from power.

Edited by OldPhil, 20 February 2014 - 08:14 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

HI,OldPhil,I did pull the CMOS battery as mentioned in my post.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

When booting up press a key and hold it. The BIOS may detect a stuck key and then let you access it.

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

So if i am reading this right you are trying to install a SSD drive and also trying to install a new ROM to flash the bios? If so the SSD might not be compatible with your motherboard mate, a lot of older boards wont support the SSD's. If you are trying to flash the BIOS, i think Dell has a .exe file you can use to run side of windows hey? I dont touch dells with a 10 foot pole so i cant be sure on that.

#8 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:49 AM

HI,JohnnyJammer,The onlyreason i am continuing to pursue this PC any farther is some times its like dog with a bone,but i have the origanal HDD that came with it and if i just use that at startup it still not go thru with boot menu to welcome screen.

Could the CMOS battery be bad but still show 2.97 volts when i check it with a digital meter.

When it comes to DELL PC'S idid not know at the time there is so much propierty stuff built into them that you can not do much with them besides i got for free.

Like i said the only reason to continue is to learn how and what to do with a PC.

The reason i asked about flashing the BIOS is another thing to try to get this PC up and running,but i understand flashing the BIOS will sometimes not end well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users