Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Emisoft Antimalware and false positives

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 enrico68

enrico68

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:37 PM

Hello Bleepingcomputer forum,

I noticed in the download section the good review about Emisoft Antimalware, and in the Best Practices by Quietman7 the same antimalware product was added to the list, as a good candidate for malware protection. I remember using the trial version a few years ago, maybe two or three, and what made me decide not to choose it was the high number of false potitives the program had. Is it still like that, or have Emisoft come up with a more intelligent engine, if you may? I am not a computer expert by any means, that implies I do not have the knowledge to tell whether a process or program should execute or be quarantined. I know Emisoft has a trial version, but before I install it and try it out again, I would like a feedback and an opinion from you. Maybe it is a very good product, if you know how to deal with it, but it is not for the masses...thanks for any imput and suggestion you will give me,

regards,

Enrico :wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:15 PM

Emsisoft products, like any other security scanning software, can occassionally detect a legitimate file as being malicious (a "false positive."). Emsisoft acknowledges this possibility in support articles like the following.

...Sometimes security software falsely identifies important crucial system components as a threat (hence the term False Positives - FP)....

Using Security Software To Scan Data

I have been using Emsisoft Anti-Malware (EAM) for a while now and thus far, have not encountered a false detection. If you encounter such detections, they can be reported to the Emsisoft False positives forum.

Alternatively, you can Contact Emsisoft Support: False alerts directly and send an email to: fp@emsisoft.com

If a file appears to be suspicious you can Submit a suspicious file sample to Emsisoft's research lab so they can investigate.

BTW, you should always get a second opinion on suspicious or questionable file detections by submitting them to one of the following online services that analyzes suspicious files:

--In the "File to Scan" (Upload or Submit) box, browse to the location of the file(s) in question and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis. If you get a message saying "File has already been analyzed", click Reanalyze or Scan again.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users