Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Page cannot be displayed happening for one week

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shopgirl

shopgirl

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

When I log onto the computer I can go to the internet and get a page almost instantly. I can browse for a while. Then it will start to become slow. It then says "Page cannot be displayed"

This has been happening for approx. one week on both computers in my house. One is hooked up wirelessly, the other wired.

The following are the steps I have taken:

1. ipconfig /flushdns
2. cleared cache and cookies (through browser and with program TFC)
3. Ran HitmanPro
4.  Restarted modem and router
5. ISP "reset signal"
6. Cleaned inside of computer
7. Removed all but necessary startups from msconfig
8. Disabled script debugging
19. Removed ctfmon.exe

I am not sure about number 10. I did this in cmd in safe mode and it seemed to me (an average next door girl) that it was simply copying over a fresh file and not deleting but what do I know?

Please help. Please note: I do not have antivirus. I haven't had it because I have no idea which one to get... (we should prolly tackle this after you help me with this.. moving on then.. ) Also, I have been using Internet Explorer on this computer and google chrome on the other. I have quite a few add-ons. I can disable but not delete them. One of them is ASUSTek_syscntrl Class. Perhaps these addons are the issue?

Thanks for your help and patience. I will do my best to follow your instructions well. :)

shopgirl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:31 AM

Hi shopgirl. Since it happens to all computers with both connections, please try a direct wired to your modem first and see if the problem persist.

Tekken

#3 shopgirl

shopgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

It took a while to reply because I wanted to fully test what you had said to do. It does not happen when it is directly wired to my modem. Does this mean it is for sure my router? Please recommend one? I don't want this to happen again.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:16 AM

Try resetting the router to factory default by pressing the pinhole for 10 seconds or as prescribed in the manual. Post the brand or router model next time. A firmware update maybe available on the support site.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users