Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 8 > Win 7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 l4ndm1n3

l4ndm1n3

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:28 PM

Been toying with a brand new ASUS x551m trying to get from win 8 to 7....

Before I knew what I do now, I took out the HDD and put in my SSD that has Win 7 on it and I couldn't get past BIOS.  When disabling safe boot I can boot from what I think is a UEFI enabled DVD of Win 7, however, after loading the win 7 files to format the SSD, the computer hangs (infinitely) at the starting screen, with a red bar (glitches) across the top (attempted 3+ times).

Of course I have searched the interewb for people with similar problems regarding changing BIOS from UEFI to legacy, disabling safe boot, and a ton of other bleep that is not applicable.  Most everything does not work, and yes I have tried through BIOS, the windows gear charm (who the hell names this bleep srsly) advanced options, I have never seen the word "legacy" anywhere...

I also can't find the previous APTIO bios version on their own god damn website.  I was gonna try to flash the bios to a previous version, and there is a flash utility, but I haven't looked through all the materials, and feel like that might not be worth the time.

The BIOS vender is American Megatrends Version 2.15.1236.  I have seen photos of version 2.15.1227 showing the BIOS mode switching options in BIOS, but this version seems to have removed them, or they are not avaiable. I have disabled secure boot and other options mentioned in threads and nothing creates new options (even after rebooting) for legacy mode or a boot menu...

This is quickly becoming not worth the time....... Is there any way to get Win7 on this god forsaken thing???

Edited by l4ndm1n3, 19 February 2014 - 03:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

Was the SSD HD built on another system?  You may need to put your old drive back in, then put the SSD in as a slave and format it before you can do a new install on this system.  Another option is to buy a HD enclosure for about $30 then you can use it for various other things, extra storage, back ups etc.

Edited by OldPhil, 20 February 2014 - 12:26 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 l4ndm1n3

l4ndm1n3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

Was the SSD HD built on another system?  You may need to put your old drive back in, then put the SSD in as a slave and format it before you can do a new install on this system.

I'll see if that is an option, but in the laptops I've had I've never had one with more than one visible hard drive connection.  Is there another way to create a slave?

Edited by l4ndm1n3, 20 February 2014 - 11:53 AM.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:23 PM

Did not realize it was a LT, you would need a USB to Sata adapter, I see then advertized at about $20.  

#5 l4ndm1n3

l4ndm1n3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

Did not realize it was a LT, you would need a USB to Sata adapter, I see then advertized at about $20.  

Don't know that this is even worth trying, with the issues that people have been having, it seems as if the BIOS/hardware will not allow me to use win7.

#6 l4ndm1n3

l4ndm1n3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

Just thought of something... if I whipe the SSD with win 7 on it and put win 8 on it, should it work?  My qualms are not with win 8 (I guess it's ok) but the 5400 rpm HDD vs SSD

#7 l4ndm1n3

l4ndm1n3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

Ok, so i put the SSD in with Win7 on it and was going to put Win8 on it but it still won't go past BIOS.

I'm going to try installing Win8 on the disk with my desktop and post back.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

Once you format the SSD to rid it of the prior systems markings it will be just fine, your issue is trying to use a drive that was built on another machine that just does not work.  It is not the fault of your LT or the drive, once done you will have a rocking LT.

Phil

#9 brubbel

brubbel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:37 AM

The Legacy option you are searching for is now called Launch CSM.

A short instruction to make it running:

1. IT better works when you use an USB flash drive instead of a DVD.
  2. Go to Security -> Secure Boot Menu, Secure Boot Control and disable it.
  3. Go to Boot, Launch CSM and enable it.
  4. Erase the entry UEFI:[something, depends on the Name of the USB flash drive]
  5. Create a new entry for the USB flash drive:
    1. chose a name like USB
    2. chose a path (I took bootmgr.efi)
  6. save and reboot

That fixed my problem with the same uefi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users