Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Transferring Data From Old Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DamionMachina

DamionMachina

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

Hey everyone, I'm not exceptionally computer savvy, so please bare with me. My previous computer (manufactured in Feb 2012) was rendered inoperable last week due to a fried motherboard. My new computer arrived today, and I have removed the 500GB hard drive from the previous computer, and am attempting to transfer the data on it via a SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 adapter I purchased online. This particular hard drive is SATA.

When I plug everything in, the new computer recognizes the hard drive, but it shows it as "System Reserved", and misrepresents the drive's size as being at around 90 MB, when in actuality it is 500 GB. None of the data on the hard drive shows when I access the drive; it shows as being empty, with the "System Reserved" title. After some research I have discovered that this is a partition of the Windows 7 OS installed on the previous computer (the current PC also has Windows 7 installed).

Per a friend's suggestion, I tried accessing the hard drive via the converter on a friend's Chromebook. Presumably due to the differing OS, all of the files appeared as intended, without issue. However, being a Chromebook, I cannot complete the transfer there, as there is not enough room. I also do not have an external hard drive. I need to transfer the data from the old HD to the new PC's HD.

Now that I know the data hasn't been compromised I am relieved, but I cannot figure out a way (despite hours of Googling) to get the new PC to recognize the folders on the Hard Drive. I have found some suggestions for similar issues, but all involve formatting the hard drive or removing the partition, options that I fear will delete the very data I am trying to retrieve.

If any of you can provide any suggestions at all it would be much appreciated. My last resort is having to pay Geek Squad too much to do the transfer for me. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

You could try downloading an ISO for Ubuntu and burning it to a CD.  Then, with the old HDD attached via USB, booting from the CD and running Ubuntu as a Live CD (Try It mode).

You should be able to see all the files on the old HDD and copy & paste them to the new system.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

If you have a dvd drive and burnable dvd I recommend trying to boot to linux (any version will work) something like mint: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Then hook up both drives and copy directly from the old drive to the new one. Just like in windows you can right click copy and right click to paste etc...

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

lol dls62 I had not refreshed the page and got sidetracked, I see you posted the same thing above me :)

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:31 PM

Hey zingo156,

Great minds obviously think alike!

#6 DamionMachina

DamionMachina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

Thank you for your helpful suggestions dls and zingo. I don't have much experience with Linux, I can burn the OS to a disc and run it directly from said disc, correct? I won't have to install the OS on my desktop? Once inside, will my folders and such retain their Windows names (My Documents, My Pictures, etc.)? Your help is very much appreciated!

#7 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:47 PM

Just want to point out that the System Reserved partition won't contain the files you're looking for...

If you install Windows 7 on a clean disk with no existing partitions, it creates a System Reserved partition at the beginning of the disk and uses the remainder of the unallocated space to create your system drive.That small partition isn’t assigned a drive letter, so you won’t even know it exists unless you look in the Disk Management console or use a low-level utility, such as Diskpart, to inspect the disk structure.

This “stub” of a partition, which is new in Windows 7, serves two functions. First, it holds the Boot Manager code and the Boot Configuration Database. Sec¬ond, it reserves space for the startup files required by the BitLocker Drive Encryption feature. If you ever decide to encrypt your system drive using BitLocker, you won’t have to repartition your system drive to make it possible.

And to add to previous suggestions, if you have a USB flash drive that you aren't using, you could create a Live USB with a Linux environment and boot with it, instead of burning a disk. Also, I would suggest Linux Mint, if you're not familiar with Linux. It's a Windows imitation enviroment and much easier to use :

linux-mint-mate-desktop.jpg

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

Thank you for your helpful suggestions dls and zingo. I don't have much experience with Linux, I can burn the OS to a disc and run it directly from said disc, correct? I won't have to install the OS on my desktop? Once inside, will my folders and such retain their Windows names (My Documents, My Pictures, etc.)? Your help is very much appreciated!

You do not need to install the os, you can boot directly from the disc or a usb if you go that route, nothing on your hard drive will be changed unless you do so yourself. I usually copy everything to the users/user name/desktop directory

#9 DamionMachina

DamionMachina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

Thanks for your help everyone, worked like a charm, I was able to retrieve all of the data I needed. Very much appreciated!

#10 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users