Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing winmgmt service

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Accumulator

Accumulator

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

After removing the FBI Cybercrime ransom ware from a Windows 7 /64 laptop, I noticed that SP1 had not been installed.  While trying to install it, I got an error 424 and the install aborted.  The error also tells me that there is a WMI service missing.  When reviewing services.msc, I only see one WMI service listed, the performance adapter.

Can anyone tell me how to re-install the missing service without going through a fresh install?

Many Thanks

Accumulator

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BKSeoul

BKSeoul

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

After removing the malware, did you run a in an elevated admin command the following "sfc /scannow"?  This scans the systems for any important files the malware may have damaged or removes and rebuilds them.  As for SP1, are you trying to install it through Windows Update utility or as a stand alone installer?

#3 Accumulator

Accumulator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for the reply.  I did run an SFC /scannow as soon as I realized the service was missing.  It found nothing.  I tried Windows update and burned a CD with SP1 and I get the same errors.

#4 BKSeoul

BKSeoul

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:05 PM

Can you elaborate "burned a CD with SP1".  Do you mean you burned a copy of windows with SP1 to attempt to do the repair or that you downloaded SP1 as an ISO and then burnt it to a disc to run the stand alone installer?

#5 Accumulator

Accumulator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

I downloaded an iso of SP1 and then burned it to a CD.  II then used the installer on the CD.

#6 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

You could try running Tweaking.com - Repair WMI to see if that resolves the WMI problem.

#7 Accumulator

Accumulator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

Thank you.  I will try that this afternoon and let you know how it went.  I am new to WMI issues as you can tell.

#8 Accumulator

Accumulator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

dls62:  Thanks for your suggestion.  I ran the script and was able to install SP1 shortly thereafter.  Leave it to the UK!

Thanks again

#9 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:34 PM

I'm glad I was able to help you resolve the problem.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users