Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer can see but not access second HDD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Izzye

Izzye

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:05 PM

I have a Linux Suse laptop drive I'm trying to recover data off as the computer it was in has died. I plugged it into my XP Pro desktop thinking I could access it through My Computer and copy the data across. As if computers are ever that simple.

Having changed the SATA cable as the first one didn't seem to be working and inserting an Ubuntu disk upon prompt I couldn't access anything but my original drive. So I restarted, changed the boot order in the bios and got XP back and a notification that new hardware had been found; the second drive. It appears in the BIOS and Device Manager, I can see it and it's set as enabled usage, but it doesn't appear in either My Computer or in Disk Management, but I do seem to have gained a floppy disk drive which doesn't appear in disk management.

I've done this sort of thing before, plugging my Ubuntu laptop drive into my boyfriend's Mandriva laptop via sata splitter and that worked fine, I don't understand why this isn't working, unless the drive is as dead as the rest of the computer? Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

XP does not natively recognise Linux partitions.  This article gives you some options for 3rd party software to enable you to read the contents of the drive.

#3 Izzye

Izzye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

You sir, are a star. I did wonder if it was a cross platform issue. Thank you so much.

#4 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:45 PM

You're very welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users