Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting to McDonalds Wi-Fi

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 joenorwood77

joenorwood77

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

I never had an issue with this with my old laptop but my new laptop with Windows 8 often times has issues connecting to wi-fi at McDonalds. I am hopeful that someone can provide some insight on what is going on.

When the connection works without issues, I first get a prompt asking me yes or no, if I want to turn on sharing or not. I select no. Next, a webpage pops up from McDonalds and the top has a big button to click "connect". Once I do that, I have decent speeds on whichever websites I go to.

However, usually when I click to connect to a wifi here, it will say "connected" almost immediately. It does NOT ask if I want to turn on sharing and it does NOT pop up a website to click "connect" on the McDonalds webpage. I do have super super super slow speed on Facebook, unable to access my gmail (maybe due to being a secure site) and most Google searches and other pages do not even load. 

I sometimes try for 30-60 minutes to get this to work with no success. I restart my laptop, I try reconnected numerous times and not sure why it sometimes randomly works. Other people here seem to have no issue with the internet. 

Mod edit. Moved to Web-browsing, e-mail and other internet applications.  Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 19 February 2014 - 07:53 PM.
Moved

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joenorwood77

joenorwood77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

Apologies for initially posting under the wrong section. No one has a suggest or insight on what might be going wrong? Today wi-fi was perfect right away but other times I can go 30-60 minutes without it working right and I just give up. Someone please help me out...

#3 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

To clarify...you get the message and pop up when and McD's....you don't see the message....where, on your home wifi?

#4 joenorwood77

joenorwood77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

Right now I do not have home wifi. McDonalds is the main place I use wifi. Sometimes the browser window pops open to the McDonalds connect to internet page while other times it does not. Yesterday it did right away and today it took me almost an hour to connect. Other people here do not seem to have the same issue. I feel it may be a Windows 8 issue or some sort.

#5 joenorwood77

joenorwood77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

No one has any ideas what is wrong?

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,051 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

WiFi is known for having connectivity issues.  I've seen it at the public library, and yes, at McD's where I work.  At a public site, it could be caused by the numbers of people using the internet there, and not just those inside, but those outside searching for somewhere to connect to the internet.  I doubt that the problem is related to your computer or OS.  If it were, you'd have the problem ALL the time when you try to connect, not just sometimes.

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#7 heyman

heyman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:53 AM

I too have had trouble connecting to Bell wifi at both McDonalds & Tim Horton here in  Canada. The Bell technical people told to type           www.abc.com   into the search engine.  It works for me.

#8 JakeStanton

JakeStanton

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:05 AM

Thank you heyman, the ABC.com info worked at mcds. I never have problems at DD or wendys but occasionally can't get to the login page at taco bell or mcds.
Thank you heyman, the ABC.com info worked at mcds. I never have problems at DD or wendys but occasionally can't get to the login page at taco bell or mcds.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users