Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"a script has stopped running" message frequently, sometimes locking up computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 paw51

paw51

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:11 AM

My husband's new (manufacturer refurbished) laptop is getting pop up message saying "a script has stopped running.  You may wait for it to run again or stop script".  He will stop script, but sometimes it does not work and the same message keeps popping up.  Is his computer infected already???

He is using a Dell Latitude D620, running Windows 7 and Intel Centrino Duo

2.00 Gb of RAM and a 32 bit operating system capable of becoming 64 bit

Security is:

Avast Premium

Win Patrol (free)

Malwarebytes (purchased)

He also has Firefox addon:

Adblock Plus

Adblock Edge

Browser Protect

My husband sustained damage to his short term memory during a biopsy a few years ago, hence my efforts to prevent ads popping up and tempting him.  He also looks up sites specializing in the naked female form, but no activity involved unless it is just moving around, if you get my meaning.  Nothing hard core and he does watch the "safe" signals on the browser results.  I also got him to remember not to click on the topics/ads on the sides of the pages he looks at.

Other than this script problem I wanted to know if there was a way to speed up the computer.  He uses Facebook and some of their games, YouTube and does searches on various subjects from history to card tricks and those mentioned above.  He complains it can take seemingly forever for things to boot up like puling up emails, watrching vids on youtube and game play as well as the script problem hanging up the computer and the problem when telling the script to stop running and it refuses, necessitating a hard shut down.

Can someone there help me?

Sincerely,

Pat Armstrong

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,396 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:54 AM

No need to have both of the Adblockers. I suggest deleting Adblock Plus as the other blocks the same ad servers plus the ads that

Adblock Plus allows. You could delete Edge and open Adblock Plus preferences and disallow the ads that Edge blocks, too.

Browser Protect is not needed either. There are adware/ malware products of the same name but that may not be what is ailing you.

I would suggest the best Firefox add-on there is for preventing many types of malware from infecting your computer. But it does require

a small learning to use curve and it may just be a bit too much for hubby. You can try it and then decide....NoScript

Use the programs below to find and remove adware and malware. The surfing habits you mentioned are prone to picking up unwanted stuff.

I see that you have MBAM but I included the instructions for it as well.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
Download MBAM from link above.
* Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
* When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
* When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
o Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
o Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
* Then click Finish.

MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.

* If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
* Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
On the Scanner tab:

* Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
* Then click on the Scan button.
* If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
* The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
* When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
* Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.

Back at the main Scanner screen:

* Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
* The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
* Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.

Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

download AdwCleaner to your desktop.

• Run adwcleaner.exe
  • Hit Scan and wait for the scan to finish.
  • Confirm the message but don´t uncheck anything.
  • Hit Clean
  • When the run is finished, it will open up a text file
  • Please post its contents within your next reply
  • You´ll find the log file at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt also

download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.

• Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.

go to here to run the online scannner from ESET.

• Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the activex control to install
  • Click Start
  • Click Scan
  • Wait for the scan to finish
  • If any threats were found, click the 'List of found threats' , then click Export to text file....
  • Save it to your desktop, then please copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.

Edited by buddy215, 19 February 2014 - 10:15 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 paw51

paw51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

Here are scan logs run with no security programs active.

I noticed NoScript has an option to allow all scripts except for unsafe sites.  Would this setting be enough to protect my husband's computer?

ESETSmartInstaller@High as downloader log:
all ok
# version=8
# OnlineScannerApp.exe=1.0.0.1
# OnlineScanner.ocx=1.0.0.6920
# api_version=3.0.2
# EOSSerial=ace2b3d943f068478dbff92ef2ee0552
# engine=17156
# end=finished
# remove_checked=false
# archives_checked=false
# unwanted_checked=false
# unsafe_checked=false
# antistealth_checked=true
# utc_time=2014-02-20 06:14:53
# local_time=2014-02-20 12:14:53 (-0600, Central Standard Time)
# country="United States"
# lang=1033
# osver=6.1.7601 NT Service Pack 1
# compatibility_mode=772 16777213 66 80 118990 939565 0 0
# compatibility_mode=5892 16777213 88 94 0 11701307 0 0
# scanned=68765
# found=0
# cleaned=0
# scan_time=842

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Thisisu
Version: 6.1.2 (02.20.2014:1)
Ran by Jack on Thu 02/20/2014 at 11:50:28.43

~~~ Services

~~~ Registry Values

~~~ Registry Keys

~~~ Files

~~~ Folders

~~~ FireFox

Emptied folder: C:\Users\Jack\AppData\Roaming\mozilla\firefox\profiles\yvk1i5n9.default\minidumps [9 files]

~~~ Event Viewer Logs were cleared

Scan was completed on Thu 02/20/2014 at 11:54:44.55
End of JRT log

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2014.02.20.08

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.16518
Jack :: JACK-PC [administrator]

Protection: Enabled

2/20/2014 11:29:36 AM
mbam-log-2014-02-20 (11-29-36).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 198258
Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 59 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

# AdwCleaner v3.019 - Report created 20/02/2014 at 11:39:21
# Updated 17/02/2014 by Xplode
# Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (32 bits)
# Username : Jack - JACK-PC
# Running from : C:\Users\Jack\Downloads\adwcleaner.exe
# Option : Clean

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

***** [ Browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v11.0.9600.16518

-\\ Mozilla Firefox v27.0.1 (en-US)

[ File : C:\Users\Jack\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\yvk1i5n9.default\prefs.js ]

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [771 octets] - [20/02/2014 11:37:04]
AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [693 octets] - [20/02/2014 11:39:21]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [752 octets] ##########

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,396 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

As you could see, no adware or other malware found. :)

Check to be sure Firefox allows scripts to run. Tools, options, Content tab, Enable Java Script should be checked...if not check it.

You can reinstall Firefox without deleting your profile which includes bookmarks. Open the Add/ Remove programs and run the uninstaller for Firefox.

Reinstall from here....Download Firefox — Free Web Browser — Mozilla

It may be that something is corrupt in your Firefox profile, if doing the above doesn't solve the scripting problem let me know.

You can use Windows Repair (All In One) Download which repairs many things and may fix the scripting problem.

I think you should run this first after checking that scripts are allowed and before reinstalling Firefox.

EDIT: NoScript....I think NoScript's black list of sites uses the same list as does Firefox which uses Google's list. Generally, when you 

go to a site you can allow that site's scripting which is the top of drop down list which appears when you mouse over NoScript's icon.

To view videos, interact with the site such as forums or purchasing will require allowing other scripts to run. Learning to spot which scripts

to allow or not is where the learning curve comes in. You will notice too, that you can allow allow scripts to run temporarily on one page at a time.

Rather than allow scripts to run I generally always just allow them to run temporarily so the next site I visit if it has some ad or tracking script

the same as the last it won't run.

Edited by buddy215, 20 February 2014 - 06:40 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

There are various reasons for an unresponsive script warning when using Firefox.

Troubleshooting Unresponsive Script Warning
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 paw51

paw51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:20 PM

I looked through your list of articles and decided to use the java 6 uninstaller offered by Oracle on their Java page. This machine now is running with Java 7 and hubby says he was not getting script hang ups for the past couple of nights.  I am making him use NoScript, however he refuses to allow temporary scripts but always gives full access for the page he is on. He is also unhappy to have to do this, and for a while I will have to run to his computer to show him again how to allow scripts.  (He had a biopsy several years back and suffered short term memory loss during the procedure because the tumor prevented easy intubation which caused his blood oxygen values to fall to 80.  This is the rate where brain damage begins.)

For right now, I would have to say his computer is healthy.  Thank you. :thumbup2:

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

BTW, using Java is an unnecessary security risk...especially using older versions which have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system.

Although, Java is commonly used in business environments and many VPN providers still use it, the average user does not need to install Java software.
* Why You don't need Java
* W3Techs usage statistics and market share data of Java on the web
* Dont Need Java? Junk It
* Is it time to give Java the boot? Experts say yes
* Java: should you remove it?

I recommend just uninstalling Java if you don't use it. How to Completely Remove Java Using JavaRa

If you're going to use Java, many security researchers and computer security organizations caution users to limit their usage and to disable Java Plug-ins or add-ons in your browsers.

If you need Java for a specific Web site, consider adopting a two-browser approach. If you normally browse the Web with Firefox, for example, consider disabling the Java plugin in Firefox, and then using an alternative browser (Chrome, IE9, Safari, etc.) with Java enabled to browse only the site(s) that require(s) it.

Krebs On Security: ...Java

To defend against this and future Java vulnerabilities, consider disabling Java in web browsers until adequate updates are available. As with any software, unnecessary features should be disabled or removed as appropriate for your environment.

US CERT: Disable Java in web browsers

* How to disable Java Plug-ins or add-ons in common web browsers .
* How to turn off Java on your browser

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,396 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

Just want to make sure you understand that asking you to check that java script was allowed doesn't have anything to do with the program

JAVA which you updated. Like Quietman 7 says, you may not even use JAVA. You can test that easily by simply disabling the JAVA plugin(s).

Tools, Add-ons, plugins

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users