Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting problem on HP dc7900 USFF

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:29 AM

I just purchase this unit and a new HDD and loaded win7 which works fine but when I power on, after POST I am getting a screen with "ntldr is missing", I restart choosing the boot order screen, sometimes I am not seeing the HDD listed and sometimes it shows, when I go to the BIOS I can select the HDD as first boot and then it boots to windows, any fixes for this please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BKSeoul

BKSeoul

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

Make sure the BIOS is fully up to date for your make and model by following the directions they provide with the download to a "T".  Incorrectly updating the BIOS can cause your computer to become non-functional with no way to back pedal the change.

Once you have the BIOS up to date, press the correct key shown during POST to enter the BIOS and find where you can have it reset the BIOS settings to optimized defaults.  The PCs previous owner may have had a special setup on the BIOS settings of the computer before it was sold to you if a used unit.

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:16 PM

ok, restored to factory defaults in bios, will let you know if still any problems in a day or two, thanks!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

If you continue to get the "ntldr is missing" you will need to rebuild the BCD (Boot Configuration Data), also known as the BOOTMGR.

How to rebuild the Boot Configuration Data (BCD)

1.  Click on the Start orb and type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

cmd will appear above the Search box under Programs, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

When the Elevated Command Prompt open type in bootrec /rebuildbcd and press Enter.

You will receive one of the following two options.

Option 1

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

Please wait, since this may take a while...

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

Option 2

Total identified Windows installations: 1
[1]  D:\Windows  (D: is the drive letter, this may be different on your computer)
Add installation to boot list? Yes<Y>/No<N>/All<A>:

2.  If you see Options 1:

This result means that Windows installation data in the BCD store exists but bootrec couldn't find any additional installations of Windows on your computer to add to the BCD.  Since the BCD store exists and lists a Windows installation, you'll first have to "remove" it manually and then try to rebuild it again.  

3.  At the prompt type in bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup and press Enter.

You shouldreceive the following message:

The operation completed successfully.

4.  At the next prompt type in attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s and press Enter.

Now you need to rename the BCD store, to do so type ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old and press Enter.

5.  The following command will rebuild the BCD.

Type in bootrec /rebuildbcd and press Enter.

You should receive the following message:

Total identified Windows installations: 1
[1]  D:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? Yes<Y>/No<N>/All<A>:

This means that the BCD store rebuild is progressing as expected.

When you are asked Add installation to boot list?, type Y or Yes and press Enter.

Restart your computer.

If you see Option 2:

When you receive the question Add installation to boot list type Y or Yes and press Enter.

Restart your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:20 AM

Resetting to defaults in the BIOS appears to be working as I haven't had the problem since, only one other issue I am seeing now is, since loading the OS, every now and then my screen will go blank for a second and when it returns I will see a prompt appear on the bottom of the screen with the message "Display driver encountered an error and has recovered" or something to that effect. I had thought that after installing the chipset driver that would not happen but it still does, what can I do here please?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:50 AM

The video drivers are separate, they are not part of the chipset drivers.

Where did you download the chipset driver?

I'm guessing from what you posted that you only installed the chipset driver? 

I went to HP's website and entered the model which you posted and found ten matches.  You will need to use the link I've posted and choose the proper computer and download all of the drivers.

10 matches found. Please select one below
 HP Compaq dc7900 Ultra-slim Desktop PC

HP Compaq dc7900 Base Model Ultra-slim Desktop PC
 HP Compaq dc7900 Ultra-slim Desktop PC
 HP Compaq dc7900 Ultra-slim Desktop PC (ENERGY STAR)
 HP Compaq dc7900 RPS PC series

HP Compaq dc7900 RPS PC
 HP Compaq dc7900 Convertible Minitower PC

HP Compaq dc7900 Base Model Convertible Minitower PC
 HP Compaq dc7900 Convertible Minitower PC
 HP Compaq dc7900 Convertible Minitower PC (ENERGY STAR)
 HP Compaq dc7900 Small Form Factor PC

HP Compaq dc7900 Base Model Small Form Factor PC
 HP Compaq dc7900 Small Form Factor PC
 HP Compaq dc7900 Small Form Factor PC (ENERGY STAR)

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

So far looks like installing the latest graphics driver did the trick, thanks for the help!

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

Glad to be able to help. :thumbup2:

#9 BKSeoul

BKSeoul

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

Glad it seems your problems have been resolved.

#10 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:36 AM

Well guys, it started again this morning after I had to do some virus cleaning yesterday, same deal when I powered on this morning, "ntldr is missing", I restart choosing the boot order screen, sometimes I am not seeing the HDD listed and sometimes it shows, when I go to the BIOS I can select the HDD as first boot and then it boots to windows.

Tell me this please, I had bought 2 identical machines, this one and the other without ram and HDD, now if I were to take out the ram and HDD from this machine and install on the other, would my windows work just as it is working right now?

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

Who is the manufacturer of the hdd?

Moving a hard drive with Windows already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer you may not be able to start Windows. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you change your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error.

#12 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:29 AM

It's a Toshiba Laptop SATA Hdd

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:00 PM

when I go to the BIOS I can select the HDD as first boot and then it boots to windows

Does this mean that the boot order changes on its own?

When the computer boots into Windows does is the clock showing the proper date and time?

Why are you using a 2.5 hdd rather than the 3.5 which was intended for this computer?

Please download Toshiba's diagnostic tool.

This is a zip file, so you will need a program like 7-Zip to extract the ISO file.

To burn a ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Once you have created the disc place it in the tray of your CD/DVD drive.  You may need to change the boot order to that the CD/DVD drive is the first device and the hdd the second device.

#14 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

This unit does not use a regular desktop HDD, it comes with a built in 2.5 sata connector. Yes, the boot order both changes on it's own "sometimes" and also sometimes the HDD is not listed on the boot order screen and also in the BIOS under devices but shows on another screen in the BIOS, can't remember on which screen at this moment. Yes, clock always show correct time and date. I will run the diagnostic tool as soon as I get the chance, get back to you, thanks!

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:45 PM

Check the connection for the SATA data and power cables.

You should be able so see the hdd in the boot order.  Does it disappear from there?

If this isn't a connectivity problem I would suspect that this is either a bad CMOS battery or a problem with the hdd.

I will wait until I can see the results of the diagnostic tool for the hdd before going further.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users