Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System reserved changed to C:, mixed up drive letters, OS unusable

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Caffeinated.Doot

Caffeinated.Doot

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:29 AM

I started having a problem with my main PC after running Iobit Advanced Systemcare which removed malware, fixed supposedly bad registry entries, updated drivers, among other things. I think malware or the changed registry must've messed it up. After doing this then restarting the PC, it began having an infinite boot loop making me unable to get into anything (gets to the windows logo then turns black and reboots, no bsod). It won't even go into safe mode. Using a restore point won't work. I tried running system recovery on the installation disc, and same result. Then I tried using the command prompt on the installation disc to view my partitions and it seems that somehow my partitions' drive letters suddenly got mixed up. Windows 7 was C: and now thinks it's E:. E: was a different physical drive I just used for storage but it now thinks that's D:. And the Windows 7 ~100mb "System Reserved" partition now thinks it's C:. I'm not sure how to go about fixing this and I need to do it in the least damaging way possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:46 AM

Do you have a system disk?  If so I would use the "repair function" that will preserve your files, you need to try to set the boot order.  You may get away with the screen prompt to set it if not you will have to set it in the bios to your CD.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

Advanced System Care...is not a program designed to fight or remove malware...IMO, it's a program that calls itself an "optimizer" when, in reality, it causes problems for those who choose to install/use it.  I see that the latest version seems to have incorporated BitDefender into the package,  Programs like this flourish due to the fact that users don't bother to try to educate themselves regarding such.

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.php

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner FAQ, PC Support - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/registry-cleaner/a/registry-cleaner-faq.htm

If you regain access to your system, please uninstall this and any other similar programs by Iobit or anyone else.

Louis

#4 Caffeinated.Doot

Caffeinated.Doot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

Do you have a system disk?  If so I would use the "repair function" that will preserve your files, you need to try to set the boot order.  You may get away with the screen prompt to set it if not you will have to set it in the bios to your CD.

I'm not sure what you mean by system disk. I have tried using the default startup repair function in Windows twice and it couldn't fix it. I tried to use the repair function in the Windows 7 installation disc and it said it can't repair it either and gave the following if it helps any:

Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 03: unknown

Problem Signature 04: 21200455

Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover

Problem Signature 06: 3

Problem Signature 07: BadDriver

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033 

#5 Caffeinated.Doot

Caffeinated.Doot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:59 PM

A little further research and I was able to fix it by restoring backup registry files via cmd. So something must've got corrupted in the registry. Everything is back to normal, my drive letters were never even changed according to what I'm seeing in Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users