Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie to Android but loving it, however.............

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hatch20

hatch20

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:41 AM

Being a newbie to Android and loving it, there is something I can't get my head round. Apps are great, and I'm talking free one's now, but is it better to have them sitting there waiting to be used, or is it better to google them each time you feel like the need to use one.  By being there on the descktop, do they take up unnecessary space other than screen space?. Is there presence imposing on available space deep inside?.

Remember I'm new and old. New to Android and old in years, so don't be too harsh.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:39 AM

They do use space when they're installed. Whether or not that's a problem depends on how much space you have to begin with. On tablets 8G and larger that's not usually a big deal. On the 4G models you may run out of space quickly.

You can tall how much room is left at any time by going into Settings and looking at Storage. The number up top is the space left on the device. Down lower it will show how much room is left on the SD card.

Older versions of Android (pre-3.0) can store apps on the SD card. You have to physically move them, but they remove a lot from the main storage area. Later versions won't let you do that directly. It can be worked around by rooting the device and using Link2SD or something similar, though.

#3 hatch20

hatch20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

Thanks stiltskin, I will go and look then if necessary, will see about moving anything big to sd card.

#4 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

If you're using an Android version that supports app moving, you'll need to go back into Setting and choose Apps. From there you select each one. Anything that can be moved will have a button on the lower part of the window that will say Move to SD card,

I need to amend one thing I said. Perhaps not all versions after 3.0 can't be moved. I got a Chinese tablet yesterday (Ainol Novo7 Venus) that says it can move them. I haven't verified that it actually does. But the option is there. I had an Acer Iconia A100 that had Android 3.2 on it. It said it would move them, but it didn't. When I went back in after telling it to move some, it showed them still on the device and offered to move them again. At least with the Ainol it still said they were on the card after shutting it off and turning it on again. The point is, some vendors might modify the code to allow that in later versions.

Also, not everything can be moved. System files can't. Some downloadable files won't run right from the card. The Move to SD card button will be dimmed for those that have to stay where they are.

#5 hatch20

hatch20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:34 AM

If you're using an Android version that supports app moving, you'll need to go back into Setting and choose Apps. From there you select each one. Anything that can be moved will have a button on the lower part of the window that will say Move to SD card,

I need to amend one thing I said. Perhaps not all versions after 3.0 can't be moved. I got a Chinese tablet yesterday (Ainol Novo7 Venus) that says it can move them. I haven't verified that it actually does. But the option is there. I had an Acer Iconia A100 that had Android 3.2 on it. It said it would move them, but it didn't. When I went back in after telling it to move some, it showed them still on the device and offered to move them again. At least with the Ainol it still said they were on the card after shutting it off and turning it on again. The point is, some vendors might modify the code to allow that in later versions.

Also, not everything can be moved. System files can't. Some downloadable files won't run right from the card. The Move to SD card button will be dimmed for those that have to stay where they are.

Thanks again, all you say duly noted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users