Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win98 Oem Disk Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 littlewolf38

littlewolf38

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:28 PM

ok now with this new topic i have a new win98 se oem version. something happenedand now the cd has a scratch on it. now everytime i try to setup win98 on my computer scandisk picks up the scratch and gives me an error message you interuppted setup cannot copy certain dll cab files. is there any way around this instead of buying a new 98 version cd.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 11:05 PM

As old as W98 is you can probably get you local computer shop to just give you a copy, I was given a copy of W2k Pro that way.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 littlewolf38

littlewolf38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 11:43 PM

well the problem is how is a computer shop supposed to make money if they give away free copies of cd software that cost a hundred dollars or more. i appreciate the help tho.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:55 AM

Some things you could try:

See if you can copy the contents of the \Win98 folder onto the hard drive, and run setup from there. Setup is touchy about CD reading, and a copy may get past on the error correction. I expect for Win98 you're probably already using a CD enabled DOS bootdisk. If you're not accustomed to DOS commands, once booted to the A: prompt you'd type MD C:\WIN98 then copy D:\WIN98\*.* C:\WIN98, changing the D: if necessary to match the drive letter assigned to the CD drive. (It's vaguely possible you may also need the \drivers folder - but I never have found it necessary.)

If the drive in the system is a CD drive, and you can temporarily substitute a DVD drive (DVD-ROM or burner), try that. A DVD drive has more robust error correction than a CD drive, and may be able to read the disk.

You can buy scratch restoration kits for CDs, or some music/video stores have the facility to do scratch treatment, this could be worth a try.

Edited by Platypus, 13 May 2006 - 05:58 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:35 AM

Try using car polish compound to buff out the scratches. I have had very good luck with that. If you get it back, burn a back copy as soon as you can.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 11:36 PM

The aforementioned scratch kits - unless the scratch is pretty bad, you might be able to restore the disk. I've had good luck with disks that would not run at all. Follow the instructions carefully and make sure you only polish from the center to the outside of the disk and not following around it. Straight lines from center.

#7 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 11:09 AM

Scratch removal works.

Just like polishing out a scratch on your watch crystal.

I recently bought a scratch removal kit with three grades of polishing compound.
I don't have any scratched CD's, (I take care of mine) so I used it on the plastic headlight lenses on my car.
Worked like a champ.

Always copy your 98 Cd to a folder on your HD before starting setup.
It will run much smoother and it will always be there if some program needs something out of one of the .cab files. I always do that when setting up a brand new HD on a system that's going to use 98/SE.
(that's the only ver of 98 that I will use. any older ver is just a waste of time)
And, yes, you can get a copy of it almost anywhere. M$ is abandoning it, so why not?

Surely you know someone who has a copy. Use your own registration key though. That will keep your install absolutely legal. :thumbsup:

Good Luck,
The Shadow :flowers:
For those wanting, or needing the Norton Removal Tool,
it's latest version is available Here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

"The only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to make" Annonymous

#8 littlewolf38

littlewolf38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 02:52 PM

well i have fixed the problem using tooth paste i now need to buy a scratch repair tho but it did finish setting up 98se on my computer so im very satisfied and already have made the copy as suggested thanks for everyone's solutions on this issue

#9 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 10:28 PM

since you have a working copy,,,,,while you're at it make yourself a dozen or so copies. :thumbsup:
Hide them around the house. :flowers:

Good Luck,
The Shadow :trumpet:
For those wanting, or needing the Norton Removal Tool,
it's latest version is available Here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

"The only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to make" Annonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users