Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Sharing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rjbathgate

rjbathgate

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:01 PM

Hi,

I am trying to achieve this on my LAN:

Multiple computers / monitors (e.g. mine, another employee's, another employee's) to be displayed on a master monitor (one at a time).

e.g. i'm sat at my desk and want to show the office something, I can, from my computer, 'throw' my screen (or part of my screen) to a big master monitor that everyone can see.

Then I stop wanting to show people it, and crack on.
Then a later date, another employee wants to do the same, and flicks a switch and boom his monitor is on the master screen.

I'm open to hardware methods (e.g. standalone screen with some kvm-type set up) or software (e.g. master monitor is attached to a standalone PC).

For the software idea, I toyed with Teamveiwer, but that method would need you to physically control the master computer in order to make it connect to your computer. Which isn't what I want. I want to be able to control it either from the user's computer, or a KWM switch sitting on the desk next to me.

(Currently) all machines are running either Windows 7 or 8.

Any ideas is this is possible, and if so, how?!

Thanks in advanve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

What connections are available on the main monitor?

Do you have sufficient network connections, at least two per office, to use the network?

Do you want wireless?

How far apart are the workstations and the main monitor?

#3 rjbathgate

rjbathgate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

What connections are available on the main monitor?

Normal monitor connections - e.g. HDMI, DVI

Do you have sufficient network connections, at least two per office, to use the network?

Yes

Do you want wireless?

Not necassarily

How far apart are the workstations and the main monitor?

All within reach of HDMI cable for example.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:11 PM

I'd probably just go for a KVMP switch in your case... Seems like the least fuss.

edit: you don't even need a full blown KVMP, a straight KVM will do it... It seems you knew the answer before you asked :thumbup2:

Edited by TsVk!, 04 March 2014 - 06:24 PM.

#5 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:42 AM

If all of the pc's have enough outputs, you could mirror each pc to 2 monitors (one on their desk and the other one is the central one), either all the time, or manually switch to it from each PC only when you want to. Then if the main monitor had 3 inputs (for example dvi, and a couple hdmi's) you could select the correct input out of the 3 to show it there. Would be easiest if the main monitor was actually a television with 3 hdmi inputs, then you could use a remote control to select the input instead of having to press buttons on a monitor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users