Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running XP Pro/32 under 4 GBs of RAM. Is it possible to upgrade to Win 7 on thi

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 windummy

windummy

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

02-18-14  / Syracuse, NY, USA!

Greetings BC Community:

It’s been awhile since I’ve needed to post a question up here. My problem is XP Pro/32 regarding April 8 2014 forthcoming and whether my current Acer PC system can handle a Win Pro 7 /32/64 upgrade, or not. I’ll save everyone some time by stating that my current Acer can only max to 4 GB’s of RAM and no further.

Although it is about three years old and runs great as my business PC, I vaguely remember that the tech I bought it from later upgraded it with a special chip to appear as if I maxed to 4 GB’s of RAM. But, actually he said the Acer didn’t spec for that. This is why I took (4) Screenshots of my system info to the Acer for you all to examine for me. I’ve titled them as follows:

#1. My System Summary.jpg

#2. My System Processor.jpg

#3. My System Memory.jpg

#4. My System MB and BIOS.jpg

In closing, all is not lost. I use my second custom built IBM running Pro7/64 for my studio recording business for DAW. On that system I use virtual browser and never connect the main platform to the internet at all. Both this custom PC and my XP Pro is run through a KVM.

It’s unlikely I’ll be able to upgrade to Win7 on the XP. But at least I have the second DAW PC to use the internet on a VB.

Thanks for any suggestions I might receive about this.

Regards,

MH~

Attached Files

Edited by windummy, 18 February 2014 - 08:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:58 PM

Here give this a whirl - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20 - Windows 7 Upgrade Adviser.

#3 windummy

windummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

Here give this a whirl - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20 - Windows 7 Upgrade Adviser.

Back @ cryptodan:

From one fellow U.S. Veteran and pc user to another, "Thank you, sir!" The link to Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor you sent me was outstanding! I'm very encouraged. Basically, my Acer/32 -bit pc passes the up grade tests as follows:

#1.  My graphics adaptor supports the Windows Aero user interface.

#2.  My CPU meets the 1 GHz minimum requirement.

#3.  My Acer PC meets the 1 GB minimum requirement.

#4.  My HD meets the minimum requirement of 16 GB free space for 32-bit Windows 7.

Many other requirements pass such as my mass storage external HD and my new HP Officejet Pro 8600 (which I prefer using USB for as opposed to wireless for right now). And of course, I'll be able to continue experiencing the benefits of using MSE for anti-virus along with Malwarebytes and other great and reliable diagnostic tools from BC such as ComboFix, Adware , Emsisoft, etc..

There are also incompatable progs such as Outlook Express (and others) which, thankfully, are of little concern to me. The list of my other stuff I do need to use all passed and that's what counts. I'll use Macrium reflect (free version) to Ghost my HD and hopefully save myself the hassle of finding and re-installing all my progs that do qualify for Win7/32 upgrade.

I also printed out the 10 page report as well.

FYI: I am running Win7 Pro/64 on a second custom PC built for me by Rain Computers as an isolated DAW Platform for my digital studio recording business. My Acer 32-bit running XP Pro/32 (right now) handles all my hardware peripherals. I found too much heart ache trying to network my existing 32-bit hardware devices on the Pro7 pc. So, I opted for 4-port KVM switching instead and that solved the whole problem regarding that issue. I will continue relying on KVM switching even after I am ready to upgrade to Win7/32 on my Acer PC.

In closing, I enjoyed perusing your BC profile bio. Best wishes to you regarding your advanced accredidation pursuits in the ever changing cyberspace arena. Thanks again for this great link. It was exactly the answer I needed regarding this upgrade matter. Please consider this thread closed.

Semper Fi,

SN M. Henry.

Edited by windummy, 19 February 2014 - 09:23 PM.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:52 AM

I put 7 32 bit on a 2.6 dou core with 2 gigs for a buddy, it was a bit slow we upped his ram to 4g he is happy at last report.  You can turn off Aero if you wish, I have done so on my slower machines.  In some programs it can give you a head ache watching it

Edited by OldPhil, 20 February 2014 - 07:56 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 windummy

windummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

I put 7 32 bit on a 2.6 dou core with 2 gigs for a buddy, it was a bit slow we upped his ram to 4g he is happy at last report.  You can turn off Aero if you wish, I have done so on my slower machines.  In some programs it can give you a head ache watching it

@ Doppleganger:

Thanks for stopping by and offering your input suggestions regarding my thread Q about this. I'll certainly keep your views in mind and make note of them. I'm sure that what you and cryptodan have recommended will also help others stopping by this thread. Nobody likes to clean install their present platform. Especially when being forced a/o coersed by "the powers that be" concerning the April 8, 2014 thing with XP.

A long time associate of mine who is a producer at National Public radio here in America has a jump start on pc knowledge over me by about 10 years. He still uses Win 98-SE and runs his email through his server. He's well aware of the XP doomsday date upcoming and says that: "I shouldn't sweat it" as long as I am careful to browse trusted sites only.

He also recommends AVIRA a/o AVG free version anti-virus progs  if I choose to stick with XP after MS updates are terminated.

Since he declared that, I'd be interested in what you and other power uses think about that. As for me, with so much going on in my recording studio buisness, it just might be easier and wiser to pick up a good used dual core PC already running Win 7 and just use that for email instead of my other PC now running XP Pro/32. With KVM switch x 4 ports, including my custom DAW already running Win7 Pro/64, that could buy me more time and less hassles.

Any thoughts on these things?

Thanks!

Re,

/MH~

Edited by windummy, 20 February 2014 - 07:09 PM.

#6 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

Hello again windummy,

Avira or Avast are fine to use if you do continue to use XP after the security updates terminate. Of course as you know, it's recommended that you either upgrade the OS, or as you mention, obtain a newer PC with Windows 7 or other OS already on it.

Bear in mind though, that any 32-bit operating system can only use a maximum of 3 GB of RAM, regardless of what you physically have installed. To make full use of your 4 GB of RAM, you'll need a 64-bit operating system. So keep that in mind when upgrading or obtaining another PC/Laptop. :thumbup2:

bloopie

#7 windummy

windummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

Hello again windummy,

Avira or Avast are fine to use if you do continue to use XP after the security updates terminate. Of course as you know, it's recommended that you either upgrade the OS, or as you mention, obtain a newer PC with Windows 7 or other OS already on it.

Bear in mind though, that any 32-bit operating system can only use a maximum of 3 GB of RAM, regardless of what you physically have installed. To make full use of your 4 GB of RAM, you'll need a 64-bit operating system. So keep that in mind when upgrading or obtaining another PC/Laptop. :thumbup2:

bloopie

Thanks bloopie:

Good to know that you feel Avira or Avast are fine to use if I do continue to use XP after the security updates terminate. On my second custom DAW PC running Win Pro7/64, they gave me MS Virtual PC and I've had no probs using that occassionally since 2012. It's most likely I'll rely on that after April 8 forthcoming and disconnect my other pc running XP Pro/32 from the internet by April 7, or earlier.

That reliable option will allow me to spend better time finding a decent used third pc running Win7 already.

The 32-bit -vs- 64-bit spec differences you also pointed out for upgrade were helpful as well.

Thanks again!

Re,

/MH~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users