Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All I wanted to do was update the firmware for my hard drive...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 peterk312

peterk312

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

I kid you not. I was on the phone with at least 8 Dell representatives for over an hour, tossed around from one person to another, and not one person could help me with this.

I have a Dell OEM hard drive (but not a Dell computer), manufactured by Seagate, but because it's an OEM Dell part, the firmware is from Dell.

Hard Drive: Seagate model ST3250310NS Barracuda ES.2
Current Firmware: MAOD

I ran a bootable CD version of SeaTools, and it told me that there is a firmware update, and it won't continue testing until I get the firmware. The Windows version also tells me there's a firmware update. However, because this is an OEM hard drive from Dell, when I go to the Seagate website I can't get the current firmware version to download because I have to plug in the serial number, and it indicates this is an OEM part. I spoke with a rep from Seagate and he tells me there is nothing they can do because the firmware for an OEM drive is made by a company like Dell. He told me to contact them.

As I said, Dell has no clue how to help me. They kept asking me for a service tag for the computer. Someone went so far as to tell me that if I have a Dell hard drive but not a Dell system the firmware from Dell will not work because it is designed to work with a Dell motherboard. Of course, this was not a rep in tech support who told me this so I have no clue if it's valid.

However, if you go here:
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=WM0W0

You can see there's a firmware version available released in 2013, and I'm guessing it's the most current available. Here's the big question (that nobody at Dell can answer):

If I download and install the driver from the Dell website, is it going to work or will it render my hard drive unusable because I do not have a Dell motherboard?  Should I even risk it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

I guess I need more background.  Why were you running the SeaTools in the first place?

I would not recommend installing the driver from Dell unless you have a back up of your data.

I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't update your firmware unless you're having an issue already and something in the firmware is supposed to resolve the issue.

#3 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:53 PM

I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't update your firmware unless you're having an issue already and something in the firmware is supposed to resolve the issue.

Yep....if it's not broke don't fix it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users