Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Internet Exlorer Or Ip Address

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 littlewolf38

littlewolf38

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:58 PM

hi i have just done a clean install of windows 95.
the problem is i have no internet explorer on my computer and cant download
america on line without internet explorer. now for problem number #2 i ran winipcfg
which give you your ip address information and found out i have no ip address and cant access
the internet without an ip address or internet explorer. can someone please help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 11:55 PM

Can you put the CD back in the drive, go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs, then look in the Windows Setup tab and see that you have dialup networking enabled in the Communications menu. If that doesn't help, it might be necessary to do the reinstall again.

#3 littlewolf38

littlewolf38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:38 AM

i tried what you suggested and also tried the reinstall as well. it did'nt help. do yiu have anymore suggestions?

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 03:52 PM

How about your drivers? Is whatever you're using to connect to the internet functional? Modem (dial-up adapter) or LAN card or whatever, are the drivers functional? Can't connect to anything without a hardware device. Check the Device Manager (Windows key + Pause key) to see if you have any yellow question marks or exclamation points.

#5 littlewolf38

littlewolf38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 05:10 PM

i have already checked the device manager dor any exclamation or question marks and the only exclamation point i seen is the one beside my mouse

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 07:10 PM

I really can't figure out why you wouldn't have Internet Explorer. Check your Program Files. Windows key + E key. Then, scroll down to C:\Program Files and look for Internet Explorer. If it's there, an icon that is exactly like the one that should be on your desktop should be in there - double-click it. If that works, you can right-click on the icon and choose "Send to Desktop" and it will make a shortcut on the desktop.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 12:07 AM

Try looking in the following location. C:\Windows\explorer.exe . If this file exsists double click it.
When you reinstalled Windows 95 was it a clean install? The articles from MicroSoft recommend uninstalling Explorer before attempting a reinstall.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=174549

If you attempt a clean install wipe your drive first. Not a format but a wipe. Big difference. Try the following program if you do. Active@KillDisk-Drive Wipe Utility

Do not worry about an IP address right now. If you are using dialup AOL will assign one to your computer at connection time. If you are on DSL or Cable the ISP will have one assigned to your modem or your router will assign one to your computer with DHCP. At any rate we need to get Internet Explorer working first.

I hope this was of some help.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 littlewolf38

littlewolf38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:44 AM

i now have win98 on my computer by doing a clean install. knocking out win 95 all together. and did find out that microsoft no longer supports internet explorer for win95 and that this is the last year for win98. now a new problem has arisen i get a unable to establish a connection when dialing out. i have checked everything drivers etc. and contacted aol and hp/compaq company but none of there solutions were of no help. i also do not hear any noise when the modem is dialing out but i pick up the phone to confirm the modem was infact dialing and it does dial but still cant establish a connection.

Edited by littlewolf38, 20 May 2006 - 11:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users