Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extension called IcoVallid placing text link ads and hijacking other links

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PeeJayBee

PeeJayBee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

Windows 7, Google Chrome

Hi, I am having a problem with text link ads appearing on Google Chrome web pages, and some legitimate links being redirected or opening a new window. I am running Windows 7.

When I hover over the text link, a small ad pops up and the words "Click to Continue> by IcoValid"

Sometimes when I click on a legitimate link on a web page it will pop up a new window with an ad. At the top of the page it says :This ad brought to you by IcoValid. More Info" and the More Info link goes to

http://advertising-support.com/why.php?type=5&zone=519340&pid=1750&ext=IcoValid

Which says this:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why am I seeing ads?

You may be seeing ads as part of our advertising solution for Internet properties (such as websites or web browser extensions). This solution provides content at no cost to you and displays advertisements during your web browsing experience. It was installed by you, or someone using your computer.

You currently have the following software installed: IcoValid extension

To opt out of these advertisements for 24 hours, click here

You are able to suppress ad placements for 24 hours by clicking "Hide this ad" under each placement. Clearing your cookies will cause the ads to come back. If you wish to remove the advertising completely, you must uninstall the software.

If you'd like to remove all software and associated advertising provided by this product, you may easily uninstall the program from "Add/Remove programs" on your Windows computer. For additional help please visit our support page.

Thank you,

Advertising Support Staff

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did not click on any of the links in this page.

In my Chrome extensions it is listed as "IcoVallid" and there is no bin icon to delete it, and I can not uncheck the 'enabled' box.

In my Programs and Features I see IcoVallid listed but when I click on it then on 'uninstall' I get the error message "An error occurred while trying to uninstall IcoVallid. It may already be uninstalled."

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide! 

Paulette

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

Those links are safe to use...and goes to
Opt-Out

Are you sure you want to stop receiving CPV offers for 24 hours? If so, fill out the following form

Check the box: "Yes, I would like to opt-out of CPV advertisements". There is also a link with uninstall instructions.

But you may want to read In-Text Ads Explained and try some of the suggestions in that topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 PeeJayBee

PeeJayBee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:06 PM

Thanks for your reply.

The opt-out option only lasts 24 hours and then the ads will re-appear, which is a bit pointless, and the uninstall instructions are how to remove the extension from the browser, which I can't do because this extension has no bin icon to delete, and I can't un-check the enabled box.

I read "In-text ads explained", and I'm pretty sure my problem is more cynical than that, as the text ads appear on every web page I visit, including this one.

I downloaded and ran Revo Uninstaller which found "IcoVallid" but displayed a message about the built-in uninstaller not working. Revo found some registry keys for it which I deleted but the problem persists.

Any other ideas?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,074 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:47 AM

While this type of advertising can be a pain in the neck...it is not a malicious infection.

Try resetting Google's Chrome browser settings.If that does not resolve the issue, then create a new Google Chrome user profile.

#5 PeeJayBee

PeeJayBee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

I discovered I had this problem:

"If you are seeing pop-up ads with Google Chrome, and in your extension list there is an extension with the “Installed by enterprise policy” text, then your browser is infected with an adware program. The “Installed by enterprise policy” was created by Google to help the developers, however cyber criminals are using this type of policy to install malicious extension onto Google Chrome. The reason why they are doing this is that because the “Installed by enterprise policy” extensions are managed and cannot be removed or disabled via Chrome’s Extensions page."

If anyone else has this problem, there is a thorough and easy to follow removal guide here:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/installed-enterprise-policy-removal/

Thanks for your input.

My issue is now resolved.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,074 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

I figured it was related to an extension...they usually are but identifying the correct culprit is the trick. I did all my searchers for info on IcoValid since there was no mention of “Installed by enterprise policy”.

Malwaretips provides some good guides but I disagree with calling some of these issues malicious or virus related when that is not always the case. Further, running HitMan Pro is overkill if removing the extension was all that was needed.

In any case, glad to hear you sorted it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users