Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to only mount active partition

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 zatara1981

zatara1981

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

hi guys if you can help me out with this one it would be really great!!!

i have a dual boot system with 4 partitions well 5 but the latter is the boot partition of win 7.
now i would like (in some way) to only mount the partitions which i startup from.

so i have two windows 7 installations which require 1 partition each. and then i have one more partition for every system partition to store the data. so instalation one has the partitions games and gamesdata
and the second installation has the partitions cubase and cubasedata.

i hope all this is clear ;)

now if i would like to boot up say the win 7 on the cubase partition i don't want the others to mount or become active. in other words i just want the partition from which i boot to become mounted/active. and the rest unmounted.

i would like to add that if i boot from partition cubase, cubase data also has te mount the rest should stay unmounted.

likewise.

if games boots gamesdata has te be mounted and the rest should stay unmounted.

hope you guys know what i mean.

any help would be great.

greetings from holland.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PcPro12

PcPro12

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

I'm assuming you have two drives split between the two windows installations, correct? Have you try going into your Disk Management on each installation of windows 7 and setting the drive that contains the partitions don't want to be offline? For example, go into the Win 7 Cubase and open disk management and set gamesdata and games drive to be offline. Then go into the Win 7 Games and set cubase and cubasedata drive to be offline.

You can get into Disk Management by going to Start, Right-Clicking on Computer and clicking Manage. On the left side under Storage, click on Disk Management. At the bottom where you have all your drives listed with the names Disk 0, Disk 1, Disk 2, etc. Right click on where it says Disk 0 and click offline. Make sure this drive contains the partitions you don't want.

HOWEVER, if all your partitions are on one drive, you can alternatively right click on the partition you don't want, click on Change Drive Letter and Paths, click on the Drive Letter D: (for example) and click Remove. Then click OK. That partition should now be gone from your current installation.

I hope this makes sense.

Edited by PcPro12, 18 February 2014 - 07:28 PM.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

You cannot do as you wish due to the fact, that Windows relies upon the registry to control access to data. I would recommend not partitioning at all, and using 1 windows installation, and have a separate drive for music, movies, pictures, documents, and games. Windows is not linux, and you cannot control the mount points at boot up.

#4 zatara1981

zatara1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:00 PM

thnx guys for your reply. im ordering a second hd today. how can i control which hd will mount on startup.prior to booting any windows config. i don't want them to mount both.

#5 PcPro12

PcPro12

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

As Cryptodan said, you can't control what hard drives mount at boot up. However, you can remove their drive letter to make a partition disappear from My Computer or put an entire drive offline. This doesn't mean the partition is not mounted, it still will be, it just won't appear alongside other partitions in My Computer.

Is there a reason you need two windows installations? Maybe you can achieve the same thing with one installation..?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

Manually change the boot drive in the CMOS settings...each time you boot.

I don't understand why you would want to do what you have spelled out here...but that will do it.

The stated goal of not having all drives mounted...seems of little benefit/value to me.

Louis

#7 zatara1981

zatara1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

the reason i want this: i have two systems on one pc. the first is just for normal use. the second for music production. i want to make sure that my music production system is clear of acces even to the best hacker. the music drive wil never go online. updating for this kind of software allways has a offline modus because most dont want their system to come online ever. but i dont want to buy two pc's for this. if both partitions or drives `re mounted then they are still accesable when the other is booted.

#8 zatara1981

zatara1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

@hamluis is there a way to automate this at startup with some kind of menu?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,400 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

Not that I'm aware of...some of the other members here may have ideas.

Louis

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:21 AM

I would highly and strongly recommend having two different systems for your needs, because you maybe having issues with one installation, and think you are taking care of that installation, but in reality wiping out your audio production installation.

I say this, because it happened to me. I was working late at night on my computer, and I ended up wiping about 60gigs of important files from music to homework. I had to start all over again.

#11 zatara1981

zatara1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

I would highly and strongly recommend having two different systems for your needs, because you maybe having issues with one installation, and think you are taking care of that installation, but in reality wiping out your audio production installation.I say this, because it happened to me. I was working late at night on my computer, and I ended up wiping about 60gigs of important files from music to homework. I had to start all over again.

wow that sounds really bad!!! but i always have up to date disk and partition images which i can put back any time. but still thanx for your reply. i just bought a western digital hd. and a swap drive unit for both my drives. now i can swap the drive when i want to change the operating system.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,400 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

It doesn't sound bad at all...in fact, I was going to say the same thing yesterday and just felt that it was obvious :).

You want a system that is not connected...you want a system that is connected.  Seemed obvious to me.

Any computer made in last 5 years and with a minimum of user/owner maintenance...ought to be able to fill one of those desires...and such are readily available (or can be built) at less-than-stellar prices.

And...two systems would make it easier to troubleshoot any problems with the other.

In any case...if swapping drives does it for you, happy computing :).

Louis

#13 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:42 PM

Have you tried going to msconfig/Boot tab/and then edit the boot table to select which one to be default?

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:12 PM

I would highly and strongly recommend having two different systems for your needs, because you maybe having issues with one installation, and think you are taking care of that installation, but in reality wiping out your audio production installation.I say this, because it happened to me. I was working late at night on my computer, and I ended up wiping about 60gigs of important files from music to homework. I had to start all over again.

wow that sounds really bad!!! but i always have up to date disk and partition images which i can put back any time. but still thanx for your reply. i just bought a western digital hd. and a swap drive unit for both my drives. now i can swap the drive when i want to change the operating system.

Oh and let me tell you, most of those downloads had to be done over 56K Dialup and took well over a week to complete. I had to pay a hefty power bill to my parents.

#15 zatara1981

zatara1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

.[/quote]Oh and let me tell you, most of those downloads had to be done over 56K Dialup and took well over a week to complete. I had to pay a hefty power bill to my parents.[/quote]

that sounds really bad. i hope ill never have to doe that ;) well im looking at a big problem myself right now. my music aperating system wont boot properly any more.

this is what ive done.

i bought a second harddisk and installed it on my pc. then i cloned my existing drive which contained the cubase and games partion.
so now i have two drives which are identical. i removed the games part at drive 2 and the cubase part at drive 1. because thats what i wanted. i wanted two drives. one for system one(music) and one sytem drive for games and normal use. the games disk which was the original drive now start as normal. but the second drive does boot the cubase installation but it does not boot properly. nvvsvc.exe is causing some kind of problem. and he hangs at the message creating desktop. i can open taskmanager and then manually start explorer.exe and see some of my good ole music production system. but lost of stuf is wrong and won't work.

i think something is wrong in the way windows is searching for his own files. maybe the boot partition is corrupt or something???

i edited it with easybcd prior to that my b=cubase drive dit not even boot at al. i made a new entry with the right drive letter. is that enough or do i have to edit or adjust the boot partition more?

my cubase windows installation previously was on a partition with the partition letter g now it is on a partition with a diferent letter and nothing in the windows files has been modified since it is a disk image.

i hope you guys know what is mean by all this.

greetings!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users