Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista PC will not re-boot after restart

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 dsteeley

dsteeley

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

Hi, I am an enthusiastic amateur with computers.  A friend has asked me to help her with a Packard Bell Vista PC that she has as it had not been used since her late husband passed away a couple of years ago.  A few weeks ago through Windows update I installed SP2 and IE 9.  This went ok but took a long time as it is extremely slow.  I thought this was because it only had only 1gb of ram so  I ordered 2gb of ram from Crucial and went round to fit it yesterday.  She said she had been using the PC the previous day but had been unable to turn it off so left it running all night.  It looked like she had accidentally locked her account but there was a button to ‘Shut down and install updates’, which I guess were Windows updates.  I shut it down but it would not re-boot normally and went into a start-up repair.  Eventually it asked if we wanted to repair using restore,  we did and eventually it restored ok but took ages.  I wanted to check it was ok before I added the new ram so clicked on ‘restart’ again and as it shutdown it installed another 7 updates but again would only re-boot as last time from start-up repair > restore.  I bought the computer home with me and ran an MSE scan, a Malwarebytes scan and a Malwarbytes Anti-Rootkit scan (Mbar).  All scans were clean.  I have now turned of automatic updates but even with no updates to install it still fails to re-boot normally on restart and may just sit with a black screen so I have to manually turn it off and on again to bring up ‘Start-up repair > Restore to get it back working as normal, but this cycle takes over an hour to complete (40 minutes just on ‘Shutting Down’ screen).

So I don’t know whether this is a software or hardware problem. 

Details:

Packard Bell (no model No on front)

Vista Home Premium 2007 SP2

32 bit

System rating 2.7 (not sure what this is)

CPU Intel R Pentium 4  3.2ghz  3.19ghz

Ram 1 gb

There is a product ID but the owner has no Vista installation disc.

HDD 87.7 free of 141gb (no other hard drives)

Internet explorer 9

I have also done a NET Framework 4.5.1 repair but without any effect.  I am putting the PC into Sleep mode instead of Shutting down because of the length of time that process is taking.

I am in the UK time zone, thanks for any advice or ideas you may be able to offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

Hello, This could be software or hardware related. You could download a run a linux distro like Mint or Ubuntu as a Live CD and see if these long loading issues continue. If it does not then it would probably be Vista related. At this point with all of the issues you are having, maybe a factory reset would be best after the owner of the PC is sure all of her important data is backed up to disk or an external hard drive. This would all depend on if the computer has a recovery partition on the hard drive which you could see by looking in Disk Managment.

Here is a step by step on doing the factory reset on a Packard Bell.

http://knowhow.com/article.dhtml?articleReference=146&country=uk

#3 dsteeley

dsteeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

Hey, thanks very much for the reply.  Yes I was thinking a factory reset may be the best option.  Do you think I should put in the new 2gb of ram first or see if the reset works before doing so.  I will check this thread again later tonight.

Thanks

Dave

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

After making sure the owner has all of her important data backed up do the reset. 1GB should be fine to see if the issues are resolved after the reset. If the reset works, then add the ram.

#5 dsteeley

dsteeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:05 AM

OK John, will give this a go tonight.

Thanks

Dave

#6 dsteeley

dsteeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

Hi, I have carried out a complete system restore using the Packard Bell Recovery Tool that is installed on the PC.  It went very well and the PC booted ok.  I then downloaded 107 windows updates but only 53 were successfully installed.  Two error codes were showing Code 80070020 & 80071A90.  I followed the option to restart when prompted.  But the PC would not boot into windows.  A message appeared briefly after the Packard Bell splash screen saying “Verifying dmi pool data…Boot from CD”, the screen then went black and nothing happened so I manually turned off and turned on again.  I tapped F8 to get to the screen that allowed me to change the boot to the HDD and pressed Enter.  I then got the option to “Start-up repair (recommended) or Start Windows normally”.  I selected Start Windows normally and got the black screen again.  Next time I selected “Start-up repair” but it said it could not be repaired. 

I looked at the Diagnosis & repair log:

Session details

System disk = \Device\Harddisk0

Windows directory =C:\Windows

Autochk Run = 0

Number of root causes = 1

I was then able to get to a list of things I could tell the PC to do.  I chose “Memory test” and “Restore”

The memory test when I rebooted and no problems were found, the PC restored to the freshly installed state.

I disconnected from internet and tried Shutting down and turning on which booted ok.  Now I have selected 8 W updates and instead of restarting I am going to try Shut down and Turn on to see if this works. 

Thanks for your help so far but my gut feeling is a hardware problem and a new computer may be the only answer.

Dave 

Edit: On reboot message about boot from CD came up again so turn off & on pressed F8, changed boot order to HDD and again option to Start-up repair or normally. Chose normally and it has started up after configuring updates.  Perhaps the problem is that it wants to boot from the CD.  Even though I have changed it to boot from HDD it dosen't seem to save this.  Any way to stop this at all?

Edited by dsteeley, 19 February 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

I'm not sure I understand the last question. You said you chose normally and it started up after configuring updates. Do you mean everything is okay? I am not sure why it wants to try and boot from the CD, especially if you have the HDD as the first device in the boot order in BIOS. When you used the factory reset, does it give you Vista or Vista SP1 or Vista SP2. When I do a fresh install I do a limited number of updates in steps to avoid any kind of conflicts, especially if you opt-in to install any optional updates that includes drivers which can be problematic. If this computer came with SP1, I would install SP2 before doing any updates and only the security updates. I would not install any of the optional updates especially if they are driver related.

Edit: Here is a Microsoft knowledge base article on teh 0X80070020 error

Edit: Here is a Microsoft knowledge base article on the 80071A90 error

Edit Edit: here is a list of possible problems related to the DMI pool data.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 February 2014 - 05:20 PM.

#8 dsteeley

dsteeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

Hi John, the factory reset was to Vista without SP1 or 2.  I had set updates for windows only.  Sorry about confusing paragraph at end of my last post.  It seems that when I reboot the PC and after the Packard Bell splash screen I get the message

“Verifying dmi pool data…Boot from CD”

followed by a black screen.

So I turn off & then on and by tapping the F8 key get a screen that lets me change the boot order from CD to HDD, which I do.  I then get a screen asking if I want to run "Start-Up Repair" or "Start windows normally".  I have been selecting start-up repair as selecting "Start windows normally" just results in a black screen.  However, last time I chose Start windows normally and it did and it configured the 8 Windows updates ok.

I am wondering if when I change the boot order to HDD, it does not save because I still get

“Verifying dmi pool data…Boot from CD”

the next time I boot up.  I need to find a way to make sure the PC boots from the HDD every time.

Hope this is a bit clearer.

Thanks

Dave

Edited by dsteeley, 19 February 2014 - 05:31 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

Googling “Verifying dmi pool data…Boot from CD”  gives a lot of results but few solutions. It seems that other people with Packard Bells also have this DMI pool issue. Have you set the HDD to the first device in the Boot section of BIOS?

#10 dsteeley

dsteeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

Hi John, the screen I get by tapping F8 only has the option to change the boot from either HDD or CD, nothing else on page.  I will look on the main bios page (F1 or F2) to see if I can set the boot device as HDD and save it.  May have to do this in morning as it is getting late (for me) now.  I will also have a look via google.

Thank you for your continuing help.

Dave

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

Okay, see you tomorrow.

Edit: I was thinking. Is there a model number on the back of the computer?

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 February 2014 - 05:48 PM.

#12 dsteeley

dsteeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

Hi John, there is a very small label on the back but the information may be what you wanted:

Product Name: ISTART 2479 UK

Model/Type ref: CHO-CUB

MS WHQL CUB01 1D0085

S/N 128377660303

P/N PB82100401

See you tomorrow.

#13 dsteeley

dsteeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:42 PM

Hi, just an update: today the PC has booted up ok and I have managed to download what I thought was SP1 manually from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=30

I then used the "Shutsdown and installs updates" button from the start menu to manually shutdown and then manually reboot.  In all 96 updates were downloaded.  However, when I right click on "Computer" > "Properties" it only shows system as Vista, not Vista SP1.

I was then asked to upgrade to IE 8 but after accepting message say "this platform does not support IE8" (or something similar)

I have continued to try downloading a few updates but get a message saying "updates failed because some files are in use by the system" (or something similar)

I rebooted ok again manually and this time I was asked to activate windows.  I entered the product key that is on the label on the side of the PC and it was verified ok.  So now I am trying to install 6 updates (the ones that failed last time), the first of which is Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 but is taking a long time.  I'll post later or tomorrow to let you know how it has gone.

Thanks

Dave

Edited by dsteeley, 20 February 2014 - 04:43 PM.

#14 dsteeley

dsteeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:27 AM

Another update: managed to download SP1 as a stand alone download from Microsoft (435mb) as the SP1 download via Windows update (1.9mb) never worked (well known problem).  I also managed to download and install SP2.  Still unable to upgrade to IE8 (IE8 is not supported by this platform) so am using Firefox instead.  Just checked Windows Update again and another 115 updates are currently downloading.  Once this is done I am going to replace the 1gb RAM with 2gb.

Dave

#15 dsteeley

dsteeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:08 PM

OK another update, hopefully the last.  I believe the PC is now up to date as far as windows updates go.  I have swapped out the 1gb of RAM and replaced with 2gb.  I was having a problem installing IE8 but once new ram was fitted PC updated straight away to IE9.  Fingers crossed all seems to be ok now.  The issue regarding the boot order “Verifying dmi pool data…Boot from CD” ( see post 8) was a red herring, it does that every time I re-boot.  I have even used the "Restart" button to complete update installations without problems. (This was the original problem, it wouldn't re-boot properly)).  I'm not sure why it is now working ok except that it must be due to the PB complete system recovery process.  

Thanks John for your help advice and interest.

What I want to do now is find out how to make an image of the HDD (ISO?) so if it happens again I do not have to spend so long installing what seemed to be hundreds of updates.

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users