Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 blade09

blade09

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

Hi,apologies if im posting this in the wrong section.I have a compaq presario f500 laptop that needs a new hard drive.The laptop is about 6 yrs old.I have been quoted £75 for the new hard drive and installation.Is  it worth spending that amount on a laptop this old? Any advice would be appreciated..Thanks in advance, Dave 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

My first thought is that a laptop six years of age may not be worth investing in.  You are already looking to investing in a hdd, and if you haven't replaced the battery by now you will be looking at doing so in the near future.  There are electrolytic capacitors which at this age have probably already started breaking down, this could eventually cause your motherboard to fail.

What this boils down to is what can you afford to do.  If you can afford it a new computer that would be my choice.  

But if you are on a tight budget I would suggest making the repair and hoping for the best.  Replacing the hdd isn't that difficult.  If you can read and follow instructions you could do this quite easily.  There is a how to video for replacing the hdd, you can watch it here.   After you have installed the new hdd you will have to install the operating system, if I'm not mistaken this is Vista Home Premium.  You will then have to activate your copy of Vista.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 blade09

blade09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:45 AM

Thanks for the reply..I think i'll look for another laptop. As i thought,its not really worth spending money on it with the risk of possibly having to spend more at some point.Thanks.

#4 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

To recycle the old laptop....you could give it to your local charity, church or school and they refurbish it and re-use it. It's worth that.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for the reply..I think i'll look for another laptop. As i thought,its not really worth spending money on it with the risk of possibly having to spend more at some point.Thanks.

Best of luck with your new computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users