Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New motherboard + CPU = Windows Reinstall?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 balon

balon

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

Hi, Just wondering if I upgrade from this motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131646 (Current)

To This one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131851

and this cpu:

to this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284

Will I need to reinstall windows? And is there a way around this if so. I've read multiple people say yes and no.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

I recently upgraded from a amd 955 with mainboard m4A78t-e to an intel 4770k and mainboard Asus Z87-A, and did not have to reinstall windows, everything worked fine after a bit of uninstalling and then installing the correct chipset drivers etc. I later cloned the older 500gb hard drive to a new 2TB raid without issue.

Retail windows will re-activate, OEM may not...

It is always a good idea to backup data just in case. Sometimes there are some tricks in getting it to work correctly. In bios you may need to go to sata operation or settings and change from ahci to ide, then install the correct ahci driver and then turn it back on in bios. If you get a blue screen on boot this is usually what causes it.

Edited by zingo156, 18 February 2014 - 12:03 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 balon

balon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

I have OEM. Lucky me right. No other way around that I take it?

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:13 PM

You may want to look at the licesing agreement for OEM windows. I do not believe they allow you to use it on different hardware that is not the same as previous or equal to, I believe upgrade is out of the question with OEM... It does not mean you can not try I suppose, but it may not work.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 balon

balon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

You may want to look at the licesing agreement for OEM windows. I do not believe they allow you to use it on different hardware that is not the same as previous or equal to, I believe upgrade is out of the question with OEM... It does not mean you can not try I suppose, but it may not work.

So going from ASUS mobo to asus mobo wouldn't make the slightest difference?

The way I saw it, the harddrive is installed in the HDD but...

Edited by balon, 18 February 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

With OEM windows licenses an upgraded motherboard is not allowed... You can use a similar (equal to) replacement if the current board fails. You can upgrade cpu in the current board and ram etc.

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:51 PM

From my experiences in the past..........

You can change to a different motherboard and get Microsoft to activate it if it is a repair due to not being able to get the same model motherboard instead of just as a upgrade. That may have changed of course, it has been a while.

Balon It is not where the motherboard is installed that makes the difference, it is if the windows hard drive drivers will boot the new hardware. If they are close enough it boots, if not then it Blue Screens.

There is backup software available that will restore to different hardware. For example from here

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/trueimage/index.html#compare-editions

Migrate or restore to a new PC       Restore your full disk image, including your operating system, applications, files, and settings, to a different make or model PC       Migrate everything from one Windows system to another, including a new PC

That feature for example is in the True image premium

Or here http://www.todo-backup.com/business/workstation-backup.htm

Recover system image to dissimilar hardware or any PC without reinstalling (P2P) When to recover system to dissimilar hardware?

EaseUS Todo Backup provides Recover to dissimilar hardware feature which can help you:

• Migrate system to new PC with different configurations.
  • Restore an image of Windows operating system to dissimilar hardware (RAID controllers).
  • Deploy the same operating system on many computers.

Neither one is free I am afraid. There may be Free alternatives that offer that feature. You can try Google to see.

Something Like https://www.google.com/search?q=recover+to+dissimilar+hardware&btnG=Search&hl=en&biw=&bih=&gbv=1

And after getting it running You may have to buy a new license to activate as Zingo mentioned.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 balon

balon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:24 PM

I'm ok with buying a new windows disc, no issue with that; I just am wondering what is the chance if I put in the new mb it'll just work? I heard some some instances it does, OEM or not.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

Going back to XP and newer. It sometimes works. No guarantees. usually the best results came when the Motherboard had the same chipset.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

I believe you have a good chance, I have upgraded 2 times with windows 7 and have not had to do much. The last time I did get a BSOD on boot but changing the sata operation to IDE (in BIOS), I was able to boot normally and install the correct ahci driver and then reboot turn back on ahci (in the bios) and then finish all other drivers. I believe I upgraded with vista once and had no problems either. I have had a few occasions where xp would not work.

Edited by zingo156, 19 February 2014 - 08:58 AM.

#11 balon

balon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:12 PM

Thanks guys. Bought some stuff; going to upgrade tomorrow. Friend of mine computer major said its like a 90% chance no reinstall. Thanks again though

#12 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:53 PM

The key generated from the BIOS is linked to the OEM certificate(Hardware signature HP, Dell Etc). I cant remember the name but you can actually backup the OEM certificate from the BIOS and re-issue it on the new BIOS. Google that because i cannot remember the name of the software but it backs up the Windows SLIC.

Google ABR (Activation Backup and Restore), thats the name of it mate.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 18 February 2014 - 08:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users