Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing hard drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

I hope this is posted in the right place cuz might be a rather foolish question.I have anAsus M11BB series desktop.Here is the question,when one buys a brand name computer and there is the manufacturers bloat ware installed,is it incorporated with the motherboard or just the hard drive.Why I am asking is if I changed the hard drive

would I have all the crap on there that Asus installed or would I have sort of a generic computer,thank-you,Tony.

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2014 - 04:15 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 straightupwv

straightupwv

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:01 AM

You would have a generic computer but you would also lose your operating system.  

Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

If you replace the hard drive how will you be reloading the operating system? If you use asus restore discs it will likely install the same bloat ware. A new hard drive would be free of any bloatware only if you used a bloatware free installation disc. You would not need to replace the hard drive to get rid of the bloatware, you could reload from a windows disc, or just uninstall everything that is not needed.

If your current hard drive is working with no errors, a reload or clean up would be the best solution. Cleaning up may be easier than reloading.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

Thanx for the response folks.I have 7 and vista I have paid for so that's not the issue.I know the question sounds foolish but what I am asking is to replace the hard drive and have nothing of Asus on there as if I built it myself.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:05 PM

You can format and reload windows from your disc on the current hard drive and have no bloatware. A new hard drive is not needed. You can do it with a new hard drive or the old. If you do use the old hard drive to reload, save your data off of it first.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:16 PM

Thank-you,Tony.

#7 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:19 AM

Only problem you may have by using anything other (Win 7) then the restore disk is, finding drivers for what's in the computer.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

Many of the drivers are either in the Windows installer or Windows Update can download the needed drivers.  An alternative to using the Asus system restore disc would be to upgrade to another version of Windows, like WIndows 8, and select a clean install which will wipe everything and reinstall without all the bloat.  Or, if you have the standard Windows discs, you can reinstall Windows 7 or Vista and use a clean install option.

3939.png

#9 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:25 AM

True, but found the network driver wasn't recognized by Win 7 when I did a clean install.  Glad it was a new built computer with the MB CD.  :thumbup2: 

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:51 AM

Sometimes newer hardware, very old hardware, or hardware that doesn't comply with the generic drivers Microsoft provides, does need to have the drivers ready beforehand, either on a disc of USB drive.  I've been lucky in that all the PC's I've built have had the drivers they need already in Windows so I don't need the disc the motherboard comes with.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users