Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Firewall Blocking Pings From Local Private PCs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SilverTop3020

SilverTop3020

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

I have 2 PCs, both with all the latest Vista updates.

Both PCs work perfectly to the Internet.

PC2 blocks any ping requests from PC1. I get an error “Request timed out”.

I turned ON ALL ICMP types (not just ping) in Domain, Private and Public profiles in Windows Firewall (WF)  by creating exception rules and rebooted but still could not ping PC2.

I turned OFF Domain, Private and Public profiles in WF, rebooted but still could not ping.

Only by shutting down the WF service itself completely (in services.msc, stopped WF and then set to manual) and rebooting could I then ping. Network Discovery now works and I can map the drives.

So even with Domain, Private and Public turned off, WF was still blocking Private pings.

Any idea what else there is in Windows Firewall that can block pings even with rules set up to allow pings please ?

I want to be able to turn the WF service back on so I have a firewall running, but I can't turn it on as long as it is blocking pings.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SilverTop3020

SilverTop3020
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:42 PM

No-one got any ideas ?

#3 Slurppa

Slurppa

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:12 AM

Did you set it to ICMPv6 or ICMPv4? That might make a difference. You can change this by going to your settings->Protocols and Ports ->Protocol type.

You might also want to take a look at this

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/allow-pings-icmp-echo-request-through-your-windows-vista-firewall/

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#4 SilverTop3020

SilverTop3020
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

Some time before Christmas my daughter downloaded several games from Steam and about the same time pings to her PC stopped working. For over 5 months I have tried everything suggested on forums and also tried anything (no matter how remote) I could find anywhere on the Internet that might fix the problem. Nothing has worked. I have a Word document which is about 10 pages long of things I have tried. This includes copying registry keys from my PC to her PC.

The ONLY way I can access her PC from mine is to disable the Windows Firewall Service in services.msc and reboot. After doing any file copying I want to do I re-enable WF on her PC and reboot again.

I no longer look at this forum as it is clear no-one can help and all I get is suggestions to do what I have already tried. Even Microsoft failed to resolve the problem. I give up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users