Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

usb ports

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:39 AM

How does on tell if a usb port on the mobo and on the front panel of the case is high powered or low powered? I

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:46 AM

I'm not sure how You mean that.

If by Power you the current capacity? a USB 2 port should be able to supply 1/2 Amp AKA 500Milliamps

On a Computer they should all meet that specification. However a unpowered hub is a different matter. Some USB devices have two USB connectors. 1 for signaling and one to get power. I have a scanner like that. I can use it with a AC Adapter or I can use a USB to power jack that came with it and power it that way. It does scan slower that way of course.

If by Speed You mean the USB ports, then USB3 ports usually have Blue showing when You look in.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:19 AM

USB 2.0 standard allows up to 0.5 - 2 Amps on some powered hubs. (This was changed with modern smart phones and the added draw).
USB 3.0 standard allows up to 5 Amps. These ports are significantly faster with a compatible 3.0 device. (on most computers these 3.0 ports are blue).

USB 3.0 can deliever quite a bit more power. I have actually seen a usb mouse adapter melted when it shorted in a 3.0 port. The usb device fused into the laptop port and the entire port needed to be de soldered to remove the bad usb device. Unfortunately even after removing the shorted port the laptop main board was dead.

As far as I know there is no way to know for certain the output, I would consult the main board manual.

EDIT I think usb 2.0 mainboards only supply 0.5 amps.

Edited by zingo156, 18 February 2014 - 02:30 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:27 PM

Ah ha, Smart phones. I guess I'm old school. I did not realize they had changed it.

I guess Wikipedia has it wrong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Power shows

A unit load is defined as 100 mA in USB 2.0, and 150 mA in USB 3.0. A device may draw a maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) from a port in USB 2.0; 6 (900 mA) in USB 3.0

Which is what I remembered.

Best Regards

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

The difference there is with or without data device: (found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Power)

Signal 5 volt DC Max. voltage 5.00±0.25 V (pre-3.0); 5.00+0.25-0.55 V (USB 3.0) Max. current

0.5–0.9 A (general);
5 A (charging devices)

Again it likely depends on the main board itself and the design. I have no idea if there is a solid standard or not between vendors.

I usually do not make use of high amperage devices on any laptop or main board. I instead use a powered usb hub.

Edited by zingo156, 18 February 2014 - 02:16 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users