Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I being spied on?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Skyout47

Skyout47

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:56 AM

So here is my problem. Sometimes when I wake up my computer, I see a webcam icon in the taskbar and it quickly disappears. I'm assuming this is some sort of spyware, and if so, how should I get rid of this.

I'm fine with completely disabling my webcam if I have to, it's just a crappy factory one built in that I haven't used since I got the computer, and that was just to test the quality.

Any help is appreciated. Also, this is my first post, so I should introduce myself, I'm Skyout47.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

Check your Startup Items for anything resembling a webcam app or service. 

What is the make and model of your system? Dell, HP, and Toshiba all have built-in webcam apps that are usually preset to run at startup.

Also, Welcome to BC!! :clapping:

#3 Skyout47

Skyout47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:36 PM

Thanks, but I don't think it's a webcam service. As far as I can tell, my computer didn't come with anything like that (other than the Windows 8 camera app), and it only shows up for a slit second. I haven't seen it show up on startup, just after waking it up from sleep and that's only for a few seconds IF it even shows up. Oh, and I went through my startup programs and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. It's a laptop so it's not like I can just unplug my webcam. I'm fine with completely disabling it if I have to since I never use it (the quality is horrible). 

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

Disabling it will probably free up some system resources. I've had clients put electrical tape over their camera too :blink: .

If it only comes up when you wake the computer, it could be just the driver being reactivated. Since when you wake a laptop you're essentially turning the video back on, all relevant services must be turned on as well. It's likely if you disable the webcam you'll see that icon no longer appear.

#5 Jo*

Jo*

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

Some weeks ago I cleaned a computer with an issue like that.

It was "AMD Accelerated Video Transcoding device initialization" which starts with the cmd window.

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=194112

After removing this auto start item with a OTL script, it was fixed.

Graduate of the WTT Classroom
Cheers,
Jo
If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 36 hours please send me a PM.

#6 Skyout47

Skyout47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I'm just going to completely disable it and re enable it whenever I actually need to use it, if I ever do need to use it. Hopefully this fixes the issue. :bounce:

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

No installation required.

Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.

Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.

You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

p4436801.gif

Copy the Contents of the file in your next reply.

Compliments of Broni

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users