Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't boot unless a Windows DVD is in the drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bryan Mohr

Bryan Mohr

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:48 PM

If I boot the computer without a Windows 7 DVD disc in the drive, I get:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware ... etc...

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

I've tried repair your computer several times, it never finds a problem.

But if I have a Windows 7 DVD in the drive, and I see the "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD", even if I don't press a key it will boot Windows just fine. This is a new installation of Windows 7, but it's already got all my programs on it so I'd really prefer not to have to reinstall yet again. Does anyone have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

You might want to go into your BIOS settings and check what boot order you've got set.

If it shows the first boot device as your DVD drive, try changing that to be your harddrive, and see if that fixes your booting problem.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

Can you boot into the Advanced Boot Options?

To access this press the power button and start tapping the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options opens.  When the Advanced Boot Options opens click on Repair Your Computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Bryan Mohr

Bryan Mohr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:16 PM

Can you boot into the Advanced Boot Options?

To access this press the power button and start tapping the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options opens.  When the Advanced Boot Options opens click on Repair Your Computer.

"I've tried repair your computer several times, it never finds a problem."

#5 Bryan Mohr

Bryan Mohr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:18 PM

You might want to go into your BIOS settings and check what boot order you've got set.

If it shows the first boot device as your DVD drive, try changing that to be your harddrive, and see if that fixes your booting problem.

I have USB as first, CD/DVD as second, Hard Drive as third. It never had a problem with that until I was forced to reinstall Windows.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,649 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

When you go into disk management, do you have the 100MB system reserved partition and is it marked as active?

#7 Bryan Mohr

Bryan Mohr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:58 PM

I do have the System Reserved partition, but it's not on the boot disk. It's on a secondary drive (Disk 1). I'm not sure why Windows put it there as both drives were completely blank when I installed Windows. The primary drive (Disk 0) shows as "Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)" while the secondary System Reserved partition shows as "Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)". Maybe I should disconnect the secondary then do a repair?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,649 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:17 AM

So you have two hard drives and the primary has windows installed and the secondary drive has the system reserved partition? I think that is the problem.  I would do as you suggest and disconnect the secondary drive with the system reserved partition and the do a repair. If it does repair the issue, your primary drive will not have the 100MB system reserved partition. The partition will be marked active and all the boot files will be placed there. Good Luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users