Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network Connection Icon Missing, [Need Help!!!!]

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ksaad1792

ksaad1792

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:20 PM

Hi, I am new to this website but i wanted to ask if anyone could help me with the problem i am having. The icon at the bottom of the computer cannot be seen or better put it its not their at all. I cant access my system restore and I their is no yellow question mark near any of my devices. I can't access any of the internet and am confused on what the problem actually is. Its a HP Pavilion a6228x originally windows vista but i got the Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. I would really appreciate if someone could help me. Also it is a wired connection because my wireless device was removed, the Ethernet cable is directly connected to the router.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

Well if you don't have wireless then there would be no wireless icon. But you don't see the network icon down by the clock? And you can't access the internet? So it's not getting an IP address? What is this about you can't access system restore either? I am a little confused.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:14 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer Community :)

Do you have service pack 1 already and when was Windows 7 Ultimate edition installed?

How to enable Ethernet LAN on device manager or BIOS

Edited by jhayz, 18 February 2014 - 01:14 AM.

Tekken

#4 ksaad1792

ksaad1792
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

The icon is the little computer at the bottom, and its not their, what i was trying to say about not being able to access system restore is that whenever i try to access any of the computer changing files the computer doesnt let me change them or even click on them. The Windows 7 Ultimate was downloaded about 2 years ago approximately. 

#5 Sam Ervtech

Sam Ervtech

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

Right click in the Icon section (the triangle), open customize notification icons and make sure the Network choice is set to "Show icon and notifications". As far as not being able to change systems settings, the question I have is Do you have administrative right?

Sam

Edited by Sam Ervtech, 18 February 2014 - 01:51 PM.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

because my wireless device was removed, the Ethernet cable is directly connected to the router.

Please provide more specfics about what you mean by the wireless device was removed. Who removed it? How was it removed? Anything else we should know?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 February 2014 - 02:35 PM.

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

The Windows 7 Ultimate was downloaded about 2 years ago approximately. 

Hmmmmm.......if you upgraded Vista instead of a clean install of Win7...you're gonna have a bad time.

As far as the icon sam's right on how to get it back: right click your Task Bar -> click Properties -> click Customize. Look for Network under icon and then use the drop down arrow to the right to decide what you want.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#8 ksaad1792

ksaad1792
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:43 PM

I tried everything but it won't fix the problem, the main problem is that I can't use the internet. Whenever I try to use the notifications properties the computer doesn't let me drop the box doe and it goes gray. I went to manage devices and I don't see an Ethernet cable if that helps. At the end of the day the main problem is the internet. Do you guys think that the problem might be that the Ethernet cable port might be broken where it connects to the computer, and the Ethernet cable that I have attached to the computer is brand new.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:45 AM

Not having a NIC listed in Device manager(I think that's what you meant) is the least of your issues. If the PC is behaving in weird ways that is not good. It might be a rights issue or something else. I'll be honest, I'm a little confused what you're talking about some times.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

because my wireless device was removed, the Ethernet cable is directly connected to the router.

You haven't answered my questions.

Please provide more specfics about what you mean by the wireless device was removed. Who removed it? How was it removed? Anything else we should know?

Here is another one for you: When you go to Device Manager what is listed under Network Adapters?
Is there a category called Other Devices? If so, is there anything there listed that indicates any network controller?

We ask questions for a reason. The answers may provide clues about what is going on. Please answer them.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 February 2014 - 10:00 AM.

#11 ksaad1792

ksaad1792
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:32 PM

I think the reason might have been that either it was broken on its own or the guy we sent it to accidentally broke it off. Also when I open up my device manage their is no option that says OTHER DEVICES.

#12 cardinalfan1

cardinalfan1

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:01 AM

First verify that your Ethernet cable is good. then try uninstalling and re-installing Ethernet adapter. Cant quite understand all your previous posts but try that first.

#13 cardinalfan1

cardinalfan1

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:03 AM

sorry I meant uninstalling and re-installing Ethernet adapter driver. You can do this in device manager.  Please verify that ethernet cable is ok first

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users