Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Connecting to Wireless Router Used as Access Point

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

I have a really old Linksys BEFSR41 (with 10/100 Mbps speed) wired router as my main home network router.  Old, but it still keeps chiugging along.

I also had an old Netgear wireless router hooked up as a second router (via ethernet cable to it's WAN port), which I placed it in the center of my house to provide better wireless tranmsission coverage.  It worked fine, except that connecting to the WAN port on the second router essentially split my home into two separate networks, with each router using DHCP IP assignments in their own subnetwork areas.

Well, a recent power surge blew out my old wireless router, so I replaced it with a newer Netgear WNDR4500 wireless router (with 450 Mbps speed).   Now, wanting to connect ALL of our home devices into ONE home tetwork, I researched and discovered a way to do so by turning DHCP off on my wireless router, changing it's IP address to a static 192.168.1.2, and switching the input ethernet cable from WAN to one of the LAN ports.  Fortunately, I made some other configuration changes first.

I say fortunately, because now I can no longer access the second, wirleess router.  I know that I set it up with 192.168.1.2 as its IP address, but that doesn't work any more when trying to connect to it.  When looking at my home network settings, i can also see it pop in and out with an IP address of 192.168.1.3.  However, i cannot contact it at that address either.

My question is:  What do I need to do to successfully reconnect to this second router I'm using as a wireless access point, in case I need to make more changes to it?  Do I need to switch the ethernet input cable back to the WAN port on it?  Do I need to disconnect it from the first router?  The system is working fine right now, so I'm really reluctant to experiment on my own without your input, as I don't want to accidentally break my home network.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. - I believe my main router is set to issuing DHCP IP addresses starting with 192.168.1.3, so maybe it's somehow skipping over the 192.168.1.2 address of my wireless router, and maybe that's why i cannot access it.

Edited by Torvald, 17 February 2014 - 09:46 PM.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:15 PM

Surf into the Netgear and go to Advanced --> Setup ---> LAN Setup. Look at the starting IP address. I think the default is 2. You can change that 2 to a 3 and then the Linksys address will not be in your DHCP pool. You should be able to surf into it with the 192.168.1.2 address. If it's not changed.

That 2 - 254 = DHCP Pool = All the addresses that can be assigned to devices by DHCP. If you want to assign static IP addresses to some things, then make that Starting IP address field a higher number and you can use 192.168.1.2 - x.x.x.<one number less than you picked> as static IPs =) 

Edited by CaveDweller2, 17 February 2014 - 10:17 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for the reply, but I'm still having trouble.

I can successfully log onto my first router (an old Linksys hard wired model BEFSR41) using IP address 192.168.1.1.  However, I still cannot connect to my second router (Netgear wireless WNDR4500 v2) , no matter what IP address I try.

Although i could have sworn I'd changed it to a static IP address of 192.168.1.2 before turning off the DHCP on it to make it work as a simple wireless access point, my network is currently showing it as using IP address 10.0.0.1.

Since the wireless access point feature on my second router is working just fine, I'm leery of trying to reset it back to factory defaults.

Any other suggestions on how I can connect/login to my second router? 

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

Man I need to work on my reading comprehension. lol I thought your new netgear was doing the DHCP for some reason....oy

Anyway, if you look at the network settings of a device connected to the netgear, what addresses are showing? IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway? If it shows addresses starting with 10, then you didn't set it up like you think you did.

whatever the default gateway shows is how you access that router. like on the linksys it shows 192.168.1.1 and that is how you access it. 

The easiest way to get into the netgear would be to plug an ethernet cable into it that is connected to a computer, go into a command prompt on the computer, type ipconfig /release hit enter then type ipconfig /renew hit enter. When it's done, it will display the ip address, subnet mask and default gateway. Open a browser and type in the default gateway address. This should bring up the login screen for the router.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:15 AM

Okay, it's Saturday here, so I finally had enough time to do some more troubleshooting on my Netgear wireless router.

Tried several times to connect it directly to my cable modem (bypassing my wired router, in case that was causing the problem).  No joy, however, since no matter whether I connected the input cable to the wireless WAN port or a LAN port, no internet connection was ever detected.  Even tried resetting my wireless router back to factory defaults - that didn't help either.

The only thing that seemed to work was to once again connect my cable moden to my first, wired router, then run a cable from there to my second, wireless router via a LAN input port, and then back out via the other LAN ports and wirelessly.  That would allow all of our home PCs and other devices to connect to the internet, since the wireless router was now acting as an access point.  However, i still counldn't talk to the wireless router to make any more changes to it.  (Don't really need to make any more changes - just hate to lose the ability to do so.)

The only thing I can think of is that just before I lost the ability to surf into the wireless router, I updated it's firmware.  Possible that caused the glitch I'm seeing here.

I've already purchased a second wireless router to replace this one, but since it's working okay as an access point, I'll try returning the second wireless router and hope for a refund.

Thanks for your asdvice and assistance.   

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

did you try anything I suggested?

bypassing all routers to connect to the modem you need to do the ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew so you get the correct IP address and then do it again when you connect it back. this releases your ip and then requests a new one.

the only thing you do to a router to turn it into an AP is set it to use a static IP, setup the wireless security and then turn off DHCP. so if reset it back to factory it would take like 2 minutes to set it back to be an AP and then you'd be able to get into it. because if you ever want to change the wireless security you need to access.

#7 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:55 PM

Was short on time this past weekend to experiment on the wireless router, due to a house water leak and major mold problem that was discovered and absorbed most of time to deal with.

I will work on it again this next weekend.  In the meantime, I've got to arrange for a plumber to repair one of our upstairs bathroom sinks and a carpenter to replace the moldy cabinetry.

Did try resetting the wireless router to default settings, both with the power on and off, but that did not seem to do anything, as it still showed an IP address of 10.0.0.1 and the wireless SSID name and password remained the same.

Just to make sure I understand your instructions, I believe you want me to connect a computer directly to the cable modem, then run the ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew commands, and only then try to connect the same computer to the wireless router thru the cable modem (in other words , leaving the first, wired router unconnected for now).  Have already tried connecting two different computers directly to the cable modem without success, but hopefully the ipconfig trick will help this time.  Wish me luck for next weekend.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:21 AM

First, deal with your house and stuff....mold sucks big time.

Second, powering it on and off is not resetting it. There is a tiny hole normally near the power plug, you push something small enough in there and you'll feel a button, press it and hold it for a count of 5 or so or until the lights blink and release it. that is resetting it.

You don't need to reset it tho if you want to get into it. just plug a computer directly into the wireless router you can't surf into and do the ipconfig release/renew commands on that PC. that router will give you an IP address. it will also display it along with the Default Gateway that is the IP address you use to surf into the router So if your wired PC show an address of 192.168.1.x and the wireless router is giving out 10.0.0.x addresses you have to get a PC on the 10.0.0.x network...hence plugging into the router directly and release/renew the IP address to get a new one. 

Any time you plug a PC into another router that is doing DHCP you have to release/renew the IP address. 

So to recap, leave your Linksys router and modem alone. Plug a PC into the Netgear router, release/renew the IP, use the default gateway to surf in. 

#9 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:28 PM

Well, I experimented with my Netgear wireless router today, but no joy so far.

No matter what I do, it retains an IP address of 10.0.0.1, which I am not able to connect to.  Tried again to reset the router to factory default settings (using the little pinhole reset button), but it did not seem to reset any settings (which may have turned out good, since I no longer have a copy of the default SSID & wireless pasword).

I can connect our computers directly to the cable modem, and also thru my old wired Linksys router, but keep running into a dead end with my wireless router.  I can connect thru the LAN ports, using it as a simple switch, but cannot log on to the router firmware or get it to connect to the Internet via its WAN port to the cable modem.

Tried the ipconfig /release & /renew commands, but still - no joy.  Also tried a couple of software ways to remotely turn back on the DHCP mode of the wireless router, but that didn't work either.  The darn thing is just acting like a partial brick ever since I updated the firmware.  Rats!!

At least it still works as a switch and a wireless access point, since I'd been able to set that up before updating the firmware.  Will just have to live with it in an "as is" functioning mode.  This should be good enough until someday in the future when we upgrade everything to 802.11ac or better.  (Even paid $140 to buy an identical replacement router, but subsequently took it back for a refund since I can live with the second router acting as a switch/wireless access point)

On a lighter note, I just discovered that my old wired Linksys BEFSR41 v2 router is not quite as fast as it was advertised.  It does have 4 LAN ports with 10/100 Mbps speed, but the WAN port is apparently limited to only 10Mbps speed, and it is not upgradeable.  Fortunately, I just found & purchased for only $15 a used Linksys BEFSR41 v4.3 router, which contains a 10/100 Mbps WAN port.  Since my ISP claims to be providing us with 15Mbps max downstream internet service, this should hopefully speed up our family's intenet access (once it getds here and is hooked up).

P.S.  Got the upstairs plumbing leak fixed for not too much money, but still need to have some of the bathroom cabinetry replaced where mold ate into it - that will probablty cost a bunch more, and is why I returned the replacement wireless router for a refund;  I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.  Too bad my carpenter brother-in-law isn't here to help; but he is now a long haul truck driver and just had a big accident in Boston (drove under a bridge lower than the top of his truck - ouch!)  In fact, we just had to wire him a bunch of money to help out, since it will take at least 2-1/2 weeks for his truck to get repaired.

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:58 AM

I need you to do this for me because we are sorta starting on a circle, plug a computer directly into the Netgear, do a ipconfig /release and /renew, take a screen shot of the results and post it please.

#11 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:01 PM

Happy-Happy-Joy-Joy!

Finally got my Netgear wireless router to reset itself to factory setings (plus also found the sheet of paper with the default wireless SSID and password).

The trick was to turn the router off, remove the power plug, insert a paperclip in the reset pinhole for at least 30 seconds, then while still holding the paperclip in the reset pinhole, plug in the router power cord, then turn the router power button on, and then wait an additional 30 seconds.  Voila - it finally worked!

I can now surf into my wireless router, change settings, etc.

Have also connected it in series with my first, wired router, and all seems to be working as far as internet connections go for all of our family computers, smartphones, etc.

The only possible drawback is that the two routers each have DHCP turned on, so it appears that I'm running two separate home networks.  They cannot share printers with each other, but can get internet access, which is the most important thing.

Here is how my routers are currently connected:

The first, wired router is directly connected to my cable modem via ethernet cable, and has an IP address of 192.168.1.1

DHCP server is enabled, with starting IP address of 192.168.1.4

The second wireless router is connected to the first router via ethernet cable to the second router's WAN/Internet port, and has a static IP address of 192.168.1.3

IP Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0

Gateway IP Address is 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers are the same as the first router:  209.18.47.61 and 209.18.47.62

The LAN setup page shows that DHCP on the second router is also enabled, with LAN IP addres of 10.0.0.1

IP Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0

Starting IP address is 10.0.0.2

Now, what is the safest way to change the settings of our two routers so that they can form one, seamless home network?

P.S.  The computer I'm using right now is directly connected only to the first, wired router, so I will switch in a few minutes to a computer connected to the second, wireless router, then run the ipconfig /release & /renew commands on it, and then try to post the screenprint image that you requested.

#12 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

Here are the screenprints of ipconfig /release and /renew from my computer directly connected to the wireless router.

Screenshots are too big to attach, so will try using something other than jpg format.

#13 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:34 PM

Okay, trying again with the screenshots in gif format.  No luck here either.  Any suggestions?

#14 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:49 PM

Don't worry about the screen shots, if you have access to the second router it's all good. What address did you enter to gain access to the second router?

And wow, I've never had to do that to reset, normally it's push button annnd done.

Just turn off DHCP on the second router and it'll be all seamless or should be lol...I've come to believe you live in some weird reality =)

#15 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:43 PM

OK,

Have got the ipconfig /release & /renew screenprints saved now in textfiles (should have tried that first), so they should be small enough to attach.

Please take a look and let me know if I can now simply turn off DHCP on my second router, or if I need to make some more changes first.

I think the firmware update I did on it earlier may have caused it to partially lock up, and the reset probably cleared that up, but by now I'm pretty nervous and don't want to risk turning off DHCP until I'm fully ready to go.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users