Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop powers up to a black screen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tdreedy

tdreedy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

My son has a Lenovo G580 running Win 8.  He uninstalled McAfee AV which completed and indicated a reboot was required. He rebooted and Win 8 did not start.  Has a black screen.  Power lights come on and I can hear the fan running.  When powering up, there is a quick noise from the DVD drive being engaged, but then no other noise -- just the fan. 

I was going to try to use a recovery disk, but he does not have one.  Can one be created using a Win 7 machine?

Help!!

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:55 PM

It's a good point about using the Windows 7 system repair disk for Windows 8. I do not know if that has been tried before or even if it is possible. Both use the BCD store for booting. But because this happened after Mcafee was uninstalled, I think it has affected more than just the boot files. I googled and found other people had the same problem of a blank screen after an uninstall.

Try the following first.

Remove the power cord and battery. Press the power button for 30 seconds. Attach the power cord but leave the battery out. Power up the computer.

Are there any files that need to be recoverd from the laptop?

Levono has a button that will start the factory reset process. It's called the NOVO button and looks like a little arrow. I am not sure where it is on your computer but if you do a factory reset, all files that were put on the computer after purchase will be deleted so do not do this until you have recovered all of your files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users