Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my computer getting old/Do i have hardware issues?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ddng1143

Ddng1143

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

Hi BP community,

I have been using my laptop for almost 3 years now and recently I have been experiencing 3-4 minute boots on my PC. I was wondering whether my computer is getting old and if these are first signs indicating that it may start to die soon. Is this related to my hardware?

Here are some specs: 

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 2670QM @ 2.20GHz 60 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Hewlett-Packard 1802 (CPU1) 62 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1600x900@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics Family (HP)
Storage
596GB Hitachi HTS547564A9E384 (SATA) 47 °C
Optical Drives
hp DVDRAM GT50N
Audio
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

I would be more inclined to look at increasing boot times...as an indication that I've increased the number of items that initiate at boot.  I would use a startup manager to review those items, either disabling or removing any that are non-essential.

AutoRuns is the one that I use, but users need to be careful with it because it provides much more data than should be fooled with :).  The Logon tab in AutoRuns is the one which reflects the typical startup items which are not essential to Windows/system.  Of the items which may be reflected on that tab...the only essential ones will relate to Windows, the installed AV, and such...all other items are nonessential.

If you click on the Logon tab and then post a screenshot of it, someone can offer opinions about your startup items.

Louis

#3 Ddng1143

Ddng1143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

http://imgur.com/aQiSLXX

#4 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:31 PM

All that HP stuff is bloat. Feel free to uncheck all of that. Also uncheck internet explorer and mail, that should help reduce boot times.

Also, is your comodo the firewall, the full suite, or just the internet security?

Unofficial iOS Genius

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

Looking at the Autoruns Logon data...uncheck Google Update...you can also uncheck the HP junk, as previously mentioned.  Uncheck both the Avast and the Comodo entries.

In Add/Remove Programs...uninstall both Avast and Comodo products.  Then reinstall the Avast AV only, update it, run a full scan of your system.  Do not reinstall Comodo, I found that it slowed my system down where other malware products did not.

Run the chkdsk /r command.  Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.  Type Y in new screen, hit Enter.  Reboot.  The command will execcute and boot into Windows upon completion.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users