Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot-Up Issue for HTC One, Unrooted, Please help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 billiam864

billiam864

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

Woke up today after using my phone to set an alarm last night...and my phone was shutdown (plugged in).

I tried starting it up, and the phone wouldn't boot past the white HTC startup screen. Since then I've tried booting up several times, including using volume down button, and then clicking fastboot, but the screen just goes black and nothing happens. Effectively I'm stuck at the start-up screen. 

My phone is only a couple months old, and is not rooted. Also since I have not attempted anything fancy, I have not yet backed up any of my data, photos, etc. The only advice I've had so far is to do a factory reset, but this would erase important videos, which I really don't want to loose. 

Does anyone have suggestions on things to try to either somehow backup my data before a reset, or to fix this issue?

Thanks,

Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

Since it's still under HTC warranty have your carrier or whom ever you got it from do an actual battery pull. If that doesn't work they have the tools to retrieve your data and replace your handset. So far you have done everything I would have and I don't have any other suggestions since it's not rooted.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 billiam864

billiam864
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

When i spoke with the HTC support online, they said that the HTC One has a built in battery and SD Card, so the only thing they can do is a factory reset... they also said there is nothing they can do to backup or keep my data...  That makes little sense to me, I'm sure there must be something.  I've seen online that some people suggest erasing the cache or other things...

I can go to my Sprint store, and see if they can help, but if anyone has a better Idea I'm all for it!

#4 billiam864

billiam864
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

Okay, to follow up: 

Went to sleep after using my phone normally. Woke up and discovered that my phone was shutdown. After hitting the power button, the phone was stuck on the HTC start up screen, and I couldn't get it to startup past that. Using vol - and power i went to fastboot, however I could not clear the cache though i tried several times via fastboot commands. Now after charging it overnight, I cannot get the phone to turn on at all. I can only get to the screen with a battery image. I have tried charging for 10 min and holding all three buttons for 2 mins as guided by HTC (called battery re-calibration). I have tried using a bright LED light to trigger the sensor. I have tried holding vol up and power, vol down and power, and just power. My next step as best as I can tell is to either charge for 4-5 days and see if it helps, or to let the battery die all together, which i have no way to confirm when it does. 

Sprint said they could do nothing to repair the phone, but confirmed it was a defect and I should speak with HTC.

HTC said I'll have to send it in, that they have to factory reset, and because the phone doesn't have an SD card, but just internal memory, I will loose all files, which i VERY MUCH don't want to do.

So based on all that, I'm looking for further tricks on how to reboot this HTC One, or to recover my files/data if HTC does a factory reset.

#5 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

I had one phone (LG) that I thought was dead. It powered on, but it wouldn't boot. All I ever got was a black screen with a backlight. I had a warranty, but I wanted to try some things myself first.I turned it on and left it like that. It took a couple of days and it wasn't on any more. I turned it on a few times anyway, and let it sit until it shut off. Then I plugged it in, waited about 15 minutes and turned it on. It came up. It worked normally. I recovered everything I could off of it and reset it myself. That was the last time I had that problem.

May not work. But it might.

#6 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:26 AM

Good idea.  I would recommend the following.

1. Can you get into service mode from startup?  If so see what options might be able to help you there.
  2. As with the above post, turn your phone on and drain the battery.  Give it 15 mins after its drained and plug it in to power and wait for a hr for full charge.  Then turn it on?  Still broke try this 3 times.  Still no go?
  3. Go over to XDAdevolpers these guys are to phones what we are to computers.  Its the best site I have been to for phones, tablets and all non laptop / desktop devices.  They are SUPER strict on posting and the rules, so read them first.  Also they have a ton of topics and posts for all devices from all countries. 
  4. Lastly what Rom are you using in your Rooted device? 

Good Luck

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users