Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anything other then Paypal?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 trauner

trauner

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

I don`t have a PP-account ( i am really a noob, i know) but it seems to be very handy when it comes to online paying.

However i saw you have to link it to your bank account and i am not sure if i wanna do that. Is there any other way of payiing online or to get moeny into paypal without having to link my account or creditcards?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wamill

Wamill

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

I was in the same situation back then but I can't find a way to do just that. I ended up linking my bank account to my paypal account to both fund it and withdraw from it.

#3 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:54 PM

You do not have to link your bank account to Pay Pal, they ask you if you "want" to, but you do not "have" to.

I have been using Pay Pal for years and all mine is linked to is my credit card, no bank account.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:55 PM

I use a prepaid credit card for all online transactions. That way if the card info is compromised just dump it and get a new number. I only keep as much money +/-$20.00 on it as needed for the transactions I'm going to make. No bank account or personal credit card information used for online transactions.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Wamill

Wamill

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:34 AM

That's interesting. Will you be able to withdraw funds with just cc attached?

You do not have to link your bank account to Pay Pal, they ask you if you "want" to, but you do not "have" to.

I have been using Pay Pal for years and all mine is linked to is my credit card, no bank account.

#6 trauner

trauner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

I use a prepaid credit card for all online transactions. That way if the card info is compromised just dump it and get a new number. I only keep as much money +/-$20.00 on it as needed for the transactions I'm going to make. No bank account or personal credit card information used for online transactions.

so that prepaid credit card is in no way linked to your bankaccount or any personal information? So you just buy it in a store or something?

I am from Europe so i am not sure if we have that over here.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,284 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

Prepaid cards work and are available in Europe too: http://www.visaeurope.com/en/cardholders/prepaid.aspx

Use the pull down to choose your country.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#8 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:00 PM

Animal

I like your idea about using a pre-paid card, I had not thought about that.

I see that they can also be re-loaded, I'm going to see about changing my Pay Pal to a pre-paid.

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,284 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

I have been using a prepaid card for all online transactions for about 5+ years. Have never had an issue in probably at a minimum 150 different transactions in all the years. What I like best is it really helped me cut down on those 'impulse' buys when the funds were low. By the time I got to the grocery store to reload it the 'want' factor was almost gone, most of the time. I use a Western Union prepaid Visa card and the local grocery store is open 24 hours and can reload it. The convenience, sense of security, and limited access to my personal funds is well worth the reload fees in my opinion.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#10 techlove

techlove

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:14 AM

prepaid cc? Which one?

I normally use my prepaid card - paysafecard, in case you know it.

@trauner Im not a huge fan of PP... Im not really comfortable with the amount of information they require you to give...

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,284 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

prepaid cc? Which one?

I use a Western Union prepaid Visa card

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#12 trauner

trauner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:09 PM

yeah the pre-paid thing seems like a good idea, thx for the link animal, i am gonna look into it.

@techlove : Well someone here stated that you are not obligated to link your account to pp? Perhaps with the prepaid card animal mentioned, you can also put funds on your PP-account?

Never heard of the one you mentioned, same like visa or mastercard?

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,284 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

You're quite welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#14 techlove

techlove

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:11 PM

@trauner no no - its not a cc - its like a gift card, kind of like itunes just you load it up yourself at a gas station or the likes and usually use it yourself too! ;)

Its for people that dont like giving out a lot of information about themselves online... works like a charm.

As far as I know, if you ever plan on receiving, sending or transferring any money on PP then you need that info... but who knows maybe they changed something since I stopped using it!

#15 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

Most of the banks offer Virtual Credit Cards these days which expire only after 1 transaction or after 24 hours. So even if someone steals this info, it is of no use. If your bank does not offer this feature, then find a new bank. This feature is usually free from your bank.

There are companies like EntroPay too which offer virtual reloadable credit card, but they charge you for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users