Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PDF to DOC Converter?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bertiemae

bertiemae

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

I am looking for a pdf to doc converter.  My scanner only lets me save scanned files in pdf format. You cannot edit them.  I have tried the free converters but they load a bunch of bad stuff.  So I was wondering if someone can recommend a converter that I can buy that I can convert pdf files to doc files so I can edit them?  I have Windows 7.  I was looking at a converter by Nuiance but the reviews are not very good.

Thanks, bertiemae

Edited by hamluis, 17 February 2014 - 12:02 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:29 PM

I don't know what version of Office you're running, but Word 2013 allows you to edit pdf documents finally.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 bertiemae

bertiemae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:34 PM

I have office 2007

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:38 PM

Ok then Word 2013 wouldn't work for you. Have you tried any online converters?

Here are two for the record:

http://www.pdfonline.com/pdf-to-word-converter/

https://www.pdftoword.com/

*Free version only allows for 5 conversions per month*

Edited by chrisd87, 17 February 2014 - 02:39 PM.

#5 bertiemae

bertiemae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

I tried them but you cannot edit the file

#6 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

You won't be able to edit the file as all your doing is copying the image from the pdf and pasting it into a word document with a .docx extension. So all word thinks it is is a document with a picture. You'll need an actual .pdf document in order for it to be edited.

Sorry, I should of read the top sentence more when you said you used a scanner to scan the document.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

What you need is OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software. Once installed on your computer, you start Word and access your scanner from it. Once the document is scanned the OCR software takes over for recognition, analysis and correction. Once this process is finished, the document is imported or transferred into Word and you have an editable Word document. Some variants will even work for spreadsheets, but there are limitations here. They cannot scan the likes of macros, functiions and so on from the data on a printed spreadsheet.

It is an area where major improvements have been made over the last few years. One example is Abbey FineReader, but there are several others on the market. Just google for 'OCR software'. But be warned, good OCR software is fairly expensive, but I think quite a few manufacturers offer trials so you can try before you buy.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 bertiemae

bertiemae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

Thanks, will give that a try

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users