Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Three Outlook 2003 conatact files two are invalid

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

I am running a dual boot system, XP and Win7, Prefer XP. A few months ago, I was suddenly unable to sync my calendar and contacts with my Iphone or Ipad, I discovered that I had two contact files. I found this  when I clicked the to: line of a new email to get a contacts email address, It said there was an error, so I went to the contacts list, by selecting contacts, and found the contact there, copied and pasted on the to: line.

Sometime later, I noticed that when I clicked on the to: line, an error message provided an OK box and clicking on that privided a pull down box, where I discovered two contacts, click on the upper one listed and pressed enter, only to get the same message again, the next time I selected the lowest of the two contacts, and found my contact list or at least a portion of it, some contacts seem to have departed.

A few weeks ago, I find that I now have three contact lists, all named "contacts" and the real one is the bottom one and still unavailable without selecting it from the list.

I have moved my Outlook files around several times. I must keep some of my email for a very extended period of time, like always, and when they become too much to bring up Outlook in a reasonable period of time, I move them.

I want to get rid of the two non-functioning, non-data entries so that only the real contact list is present and will be selected when I click on the to: line of an email.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

Edited by Johnny 5 Alive, 17 February 2014 - 11:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

Outlook stores all of your details inside a .pst file. Have you tried simply deleting the 2 .pst files that you do not want and see if that fixes the problem?

The default location for the .pst files are:

C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
or
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook

*You said you move your outlook files around, so they may or may not be in there respective locations.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:17 AM

Thanks for your help. I hope you can help me further.

I am not able to find exactly what the additional contacts files are or where they are coming from or their location. Looking at the folder list in the navigation pane, I find only one contacts folder. At the bottom of the list is another folder at the same indentation as the personal folder containing all my information with the hidden name of "<0w#25>" which will not allow me to expand it, delete it or look into it. I also cannot find a file or folder with that name by using Search Everything.

I have moved the Outlook files to my d: drive but there are still some files in the "username\local settings\application data\Microsoft\Outlook" folder, none are named outlook.pst, some have other names like outlook2013.pst. There is also Outlook.pst files associated with Win7 on J:\.

#4 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

I followed two procedures that remedied the issue. The first procedure was from MS eliminated the excess folders, but did not restore my contacts for email. The second procedure turned out to be the only one I really needed and is a solution from ehow.

Remove a Contacts folder

Applies to

Microsoft Office Outlook® 2003

The following method allows you to remove a Contacts folder. You can use one or more of the methods depending on what your situation is and what you are trying to accomplish.

I don't want a specific Contacts folder to appear in the Address Book.

If there is a Contacts folder that you don't want to display in the Show names from the list in the Address Book, do the following:

I removed a Contacts folder so that it won't be displayed in the Address Book. However, it is still displayed in the Address Book, and I get an error message.

To delete the Contacts folder from the Address Book, do the following:

1. On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts.
  2. Click View or change existing directories or address books, and then click Next.
  3. Select Outlook Address Book, and then click Change.
  4. Select the Contacts folder that you want to remove, and then click Remove Address Book.
  5. Exit and restart Outlook.

How to Delete a Microsoft Outlook Contacts Folder
More appropriately How to re-establish contacts folder as your email folder

By Ruri Ranbe, eHow Contributor

How to Delete a Microsoft Outlook Contacts Folder

If you no longer need the email addresses to a particular set of contacts, or if you want to clear up unused folders and files to clean up your personal profile a bit, you can remove your Microsoft Outlook "Contacts" folder from your address book.

While it's not possible to delete the main "Contacts" folder itself, you can hide the folder so that it no longer displays in the address book.

Instructions
  1. Click "Start," "All Programs," then click "Microsoft Outlook" to launch the application.
  2. Click the "Contacts" button, located on the pane farthest to the left. Right-click your "Contacts" folder (located under "My Contacts"), then click "Properties."
  3. In the "Contact Properties" window, click the "Outlook Address Book" tab. Check "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book," then click "OK."
  4. Click the address book icon on the toolbar, then click the drop-down menu located underneath the "Show Names from the:" section. The Contacts folder will be gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users