Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Heartofgold

Heartofgold

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:39 PM

:thumbsup: My hard drive fried so I brought a new 80 gig hard drive. I loaded Windows 98SE on it. I made three partitions using Partition Magic 6.0. I then brought a copy of Windows XP pro. I reformed C: and attempted to load Windows XP pro. It said that the partition had to be made into NTFS. I did that and then started to load it. It will load the set up files and then when it reboots the computer it says that I must delete the other OS before loading this one. There's not another OS on it because I reformatted the drive. So I click to delete the other OS and then it formats the C: parition. The computer then restarts and I have the same problems as above and it keeps doing it again.

:flowers: I can't seem to get beyond loading the setup files.
Life is what you make it......so don't waste time

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:50 PM

Two things. When going thru setup there is a spot that you can format the hard drie NTFS and proceed with the installation that is if this is an OEM install disk. Does the disk have anything on it that says Upgrade? If so you have to upgrade from Windows 98 SE.

One other thing I am not trying to get rid of you or anything like that but if you just bought this install disk and are having trouble installing it you really should call Microsoft tech support for help on this. It not only helps you but it helps everyone else who uses this install cd. Your problem will be fixed and it might be a unique solution that goes into the data base. I know about this because I used to do tech support as a job and it is important for the customer to call in to add to the information in the data base.

#3 Techsrvcs

Techsrvcs

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:14 AM

We find that partition magic 6.0 are problems for some versions of Windows XP. You may need to delete the partitions, install Windows XP, then create the partitions. Upgrading to Partition Magic 8.01 or higher will fix the problem.

We prefer to install Windows XP, then set the partions when using Partition Magic 6.0

#4 Heartofgold

Heartofgold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 01:28 PM

I've had this disk for some time. It is not an upgrade version. I just can't seem to get beyond the set up files. If I try to load windows 98SE it seems to be loading and then it stops and says that it can't continue because there is an error.

#5 Techsrvcs

Techsrvcs

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 01:49 PM

Brand, size, rotational speed, model?

If it fails when attempting FDisk, or when attempting a format after FDisk it is most certainly a defective drive. Fdisk is available on the Windows 98 startup/boot disc.

You can also go to the manufacturers site and download their version of a drive fitness test, run it on the drive as a slave in another computer. You will know quickly whether it is good or not. If you get questionable results run the fitness test for 6 hours. You will know for sure, then.

You can also type the model number into a Google search and often find out the history.

If it is a newer faster drive, 60 to 160, they have been exhibiting the highest failure rates, particularly for companies famous for reliability such as Western Digital. If it is a Quantum, Diamond Fireball, or Tri-Gem I would be already convinced that it has reached the end of its useful product life.,

#6 Techsrvcs

Techsrvcs

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 01:58 PM

Also, our repair shop which covers three large counties and performs a lot of warranty work, has found that 80 GB, 7200 rpm drives made by Western Digital and Maxtor between February and November of 2005 show unusually high failure rates... so much so that Western Digital changed the color of its drives to black, apparently so technicians can tell the difference after their manufacturing problem was corrected.

#7 Heartofgold

Heartofgold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 08:14 PM

:thumbsup: Boy, am I stupid. The disk is an upgrade version. I loaded up Windows 98SE first and then put in the Windows XP Pro disk and it loaded with no problems. Sorry for wasting your time. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users