Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hijack?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Brenda Maria

Brenda Maria

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:36 PM

Greetings,

I have been using my laptop out of the country and when I returned to the states I tried to hook up to a wireless netowrk and was unable to. I believe this is a matter of reconfriguring. Also, I am receiving 2 messages upon startup and I was wondering what they mean and how I can fix them. I brought my computer to the place where I bought it and the man wouldn't tell me what the error messages meant. He said that he would charge $75.00 to fix the computer and would answer no questions. I need to know if someone has been doing something damaging to my computer so that is why I am here. These are the messages I receive upon startup:

Windows cannot find C\PROGRA-1\INKLIN-1\REMINDER.EXE

and

Could not load or run C\PROGRA-1\INKLIN-1\REMINDER.EXE specified on registry. Make sure the file exists on your computer or remove reference to it in registry

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Brenda Maria :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:44 PM

The legit reminder.exe is installed as part of MS Money along with a registry entry to run at startup. However it could also be related to malware if it is not a Microsoft file. The file is showing as running from this path: C\PROGRA-1\INKLIN-1\ which is not a Microsoft folder. Navigate to that folder and check what is inside. The full folder name is not visible so I cannot tell you what it is.

In any case, it appears this file was removed, maybe during an anti-virus scan or uninstall of a program but the registry entry for running at startup was left behind.

When Windows loads, it looks for any files associated with registry entries for programs that are set to run at startup. If the file was removed [deleted] but not the associated registry entry, Windows will display an error message indicating that the file was not found. You need to remove the registry entries so Windows stops searching for these programs when it loads.

To resolve this go to Start > Run and type: msconfig
Click "OK" or press "ENTER" and the System Configuration Utility will open.
Go to the Startup Tab, untick the file for reminder.exe and click "OK".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:19 AM

quiteman7's advice is valid. I just wanted to add my 2 cents:

C\PROGRA-1\INKLIN-1\REMINDER.EXE

This might be a file that was created by installing some software from INKLINEGLOBAL.

C\PROGRA-1\ Probably refers to C:\Program Files

INKLIN-1 refers to a folder named inkineglobal or some variant of that name.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 13 May 2006 - 07:21 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users