Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After a repair install, is it ok if windows update has no updates?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:50 AM

I did a repair install of XP, and I thought that after that I would see tons of windows updates to install (because apparently the repair install reverts you?) But I checked windows updates and I don't see any - it says the windows is totally up to date. (Well, I did see a couple drivers, but nothing beyond that.)

Is this ok, or do I have to manually apply some updates or something? Computer properties says SP3 even though the xp cd I used for the repair install was an sp2 cd.

*confused*

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,502 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:43 AM

Yes, Windows XP disks are confusing. :rolleyes: The disks are so poorly worded and put together that many accidently press R and drop to console or do a destructive install when they wanted to do a non-destructive install. Recovery console is typically used to repair things that can't be fixed any other way such as fixmbr, fixboot, edit a config file, diskpart. However, in recovery console you can initiate a system restore from a restore point through the recovery console by using the command %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe will repair the pc from an earlier date.

After pressing enter and pressing F8 for the agreement you get to the window you need to be on. From there is the big decision to do a destructive install or try a R for repair install, which generally should only reinstall windows OS and leave everything intact. If there isn't a R option on that page then the disk itself doesn't have that option or, the OS is completely destroyed and it can't even detect a windows OS installed. That might be due to a MBR corruption of some sort. Which is the reason to have a recovery console to try to repair issue's like that.

Sometimes the disk will complain that what's installed differs from the disk. Generally you want to use the same disk that was used to originally install the OS. You can sometimes get around this using a disk that matches the OS. Since it's a non-destrcutive reinstall in theory it shouldn't touch the sp2 or the sp3. It should only replace the core system. It probably did that in your case and left everything alone. I would go to Add/Remove and see if it's there & to be certain probably uninstall SP3 and reinstall it. Choice is yours.

Furthermore, I recommend a backup solution. XP is going to lose it's support entirely in April. Without a backup CLONE of your drive you will not be able to restore completely and have all the sp2, sp3. The best solution is to install another internal HD or External HD and use software like True Image to create a full clone of the drive and back it up on the secondary drive. Moreover, it would also be wise to backup to a medium set such as DVD-9's, Without this backup solution, next time it won't be pretty and you will be left in the dark. Just a suggestion.

Edited by technonymous, 17 February 2014 - 03:44 AM.

#3 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:31 AM

Just to reply to my first post,

In my case the answer was No, It's not ok. My Computer properties was showing SP3, but I suspect that if I had run the winver command it would have reported SP2. (I didn't check at the time.) Otherwise it was even more screwed up, but either way, it was screwed up.

There being no windows updates needed appears to have been a symptom of the repair install not exactly fully happening or something. I did a repair install again, and this time it behaved properly. It downgraded my windows from SP3 to SP2, which is what it should do when you're using an SP2 cd. I didn't check My Computer properties, but perhaps it would have still said SP3, I don't know. But the winver command reported SP2 as it should. Then I had to manually install SP3 (not via windows update, since windows update wouldn't even work until I manually install SP3). Then, TONS of updates showed up in windows update as they should.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:30 AM

Well...you are not supposed to use an earlier version...to do a repair install of Windows.  I've always thought that the result should be a clean instazll with the earlier version reflected, but I've been wrong before :).

You can download the Network Version Of SP3...save it to your desktop and then install it from there...and then check the functionality of Windows Update.

Louis

#5 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

Yup

Then I had to manually install SP3 (not via windows update, since windows update wouldn't even work until I manually install SP3). Then, TONS of updates showed up in windows update as they should.

Maybe you're not supposed to use an earlier version but, using an sp2 cd on sp3 seems to work fine as long as you install sp3 after. Alternately you can slipsteam sp3 onto an iso. I guess that's what I'd do next time (although at this point I'm sure there won't be a next time.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users