Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

enlighten me

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 no.2pencil

no.2pencil

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:26 AM

I apologize if such issue has been ceeated before in advance. I am using hp laptop on windows 7. Where do I start... well it ssees my laptop has multiple problems, so ill number them as following:
1. It takes long time signing on to my desktop.
2. Some desktop icons cant start, I have to manually locate its file folder
-also The programs won't open upon snl click
3. Bottom right corner of my desktop screen at times saids mt window7 is not legitimate copy although it's real.
4. I been running my av virus scan for 6days straight and still only at 80 percent scanned.
5. It seems large amount of space has been put in my computer (even though I didnt add anything)
6. Everything takes forever. And when I say forever, some dont open at all.
7. My connection to Internet is good but my iexplore and chrome browser wont start. (Browser screen will open with bing.com on addressbar but its blank like its trying to load.
8.at one point when certain program worked, tssk killer program found forged items which I chose it to delete. And now even that program wont start.

Basically only desktop comes up after log in. And nothing seem to work but my virus remove program (which I wrote about. See number 4 above).
Also when I try to get on safemode ( yes I tried all 3 modes) and they freeze up. So cant get on any safe mode.

also I see that 3rd light on my laptop ( 3 bars light and 3rd one seems like it blinks when computer is being used. Its on outer bottom of laptop) is constantly on even though im not running anything. So I ctrl shift delete to open process view and that too tells me computer usage is low but the 3rd lights always on. When my laptop worked normally, it only blinked from time to time.

I apologize for wall of text but im stressing. My last resort is to bring it to repair shop.

Anyone with any thoughts on this, ill thank u in advance.

Again I apologize if some issues were already topic made. But I have many issue so I thought making one thread was good idea. Please let me know id any other info is needed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 no.2pencil

no.2pencil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:35 AM

I always Been able to fix virus issues before but this has stomped me. Could it be I got hacked? If so Should I buy new laptop?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

What is your antivirus?

Have you run scans with any other software?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 no.2pencil

no.2pencil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

First id like to thank you for taking your time replying. Here is a problem, I cannot get my ie browser or chrome to load page. Browser will open but its blank other than adress on adress bar. Otherwise id love to follow your guidance. Hmm... what todo. I heard comp shops rrpair

#5 no.2pencil

no.2pencil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

Opps accidently pressed post. "I heard comp repair shops charge about 100 bucks to fix desktops. Id imagine it be less for laptops? Even under my curcumstace?" Is what it should of been end of above post

#6 no.2pencil

no.2pencil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

Also I run avg internet protection package.(which was running for 6 straight days and still not finished scanning.
Also have seperate kaspersky tdss killer which only open when I click ( now wont even open). Also have malwarebyte which also only run if I open program but wont start. And I bought system mechanic professional (which I was lucky enough to tet it to downloaded, but also wont open. Sigh....

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

Do not, repeat not run System Mechanic.  This has the potential of creating more problems that do any good.

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 no.2pencil

no.2pencil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:37 PM

Sigh...wonder how they are sstil in business. But the problems i have
Happened before intalling mech.pro. should I delete the program? And no, I cant get on all three safemodes. It freezes up
While loading

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

What is the model of this HP?

Let's try a repair installation.  This normally will not effect your data, but there is the chance it could delete a program installed from a disc or downloaded.

The tutorial will provide you with a link to a website where you can download a Windows 7 ISO image which can be used to create a installation disc.  This tutorial will walk you through accessing the System Recovery Options where you will initially choose the Startup Repair.  

Once this is run I want you to repeat the steps to get back to step 7b and choose the Command Prompt.  When the Elevated Command Prompt opens type in chkdsk c: /r /x and press Enter.

Edit:  Please take notice of the spaces between chkdsk and c:, c: and /r, /r and /x

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

The ISO image will need to be burned to a DVD in order to create a bootable installation disc.

1a)  To burn a ISO file to a DVD please download ImgBurn and install it.

2a)  Insert a blank DVD into your CD/DVD drive tray, and then close the tray.

3a)  Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

4a)  Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

5a)  Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

6a)  Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable DVD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Edited by dc3, 18 February 2014 - 11:53 AM.

#10 no.2pencil

no.2pencil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:03 AM

I cant get on web using my problematic laptop. Currently responding by phone (if you've been wondering how I've been responding). My laptops internet browser shows up but it idles blank page forever like it's loading. I will have to bring it to repair shop eventually. I thank you again mr. Dc3 for your helpful responses. I now know what site to visit in future reference.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:34 AM

Let's try running chkdsk from the elevated command prompt.

Chkdsk /r checks for bad sectors on the hdd and recovers any readable information.

Click on the Start orb and type in cmd in the Search programs and files box.  When cmd is seen in Programs above the Search box right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

You will see a screen similar to the one below.

Screenshot2.jpg

Type in chkdsk c:/r then press Enter.  Please notice the space between the chkdsk and the /r.

You will receieve the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

Restart your computer to start the scan.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.

#12 no.2pencil

no.2pencil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:35 AM

I forgot to mention, when I start computer, automatically safemode options (which dont work), and run normally (which I click). Here is the thing. Always after that process, check disk thing shows up but fails to check. Ill respond back with what it saids. The reason im telling this is because I have a hunch your latest instruction wont work since it fails at start up. But ill give it a go and let you know.

#13 no.2pencil

no.2pencil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:23 AM

It saids the type of file system is ntfs. Cannot lock current drive

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

Please post the model of this computer.  This is my second request for this.

I need to know who the manufacturer of your hdd is.  To find this information you will have to open the computer and remove the hdd to see the manufacturer.  Once I know the model of this HP I can provide you with specific instructions for removing the hdd and reinstalling it.

You should have seen a message similar to the one below.

"CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

The drive is locked/in use.  You need to press Y and then restart the computer to run the scan.

#15 no.2pencil

no.2pencil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:03 AM

I actually saw that messege after rhe initial locked ntsf thing. And I fell aslep but the computer restarted after typing Y and got to log in screen. Im sure chkdsk process didnt work. So ill retry that and respond back with what it saids.ill also tell you the model. Ivw never opened laptop up before so ill give you basic info you've asked before opening up laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users