Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help! Windows Does Not Remember Passwords

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lucy1

lucy1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:25 PM

After having installed Norton Ghost10, my PC refused to boot; I uninstalled, did "everything" so the PC would be back to where it was:

Windows doesn't remember my password for OutlookExpress6

Some websites where it prompts "do you want Windows to remember your password"-- I click 'yes', but it doesn't remember..

All options to remember password in auto complete are enabled

Did all virus /malware scans, nothing seems to be infected, (though I'm no expert with HJT logs)

In addition, my music files won't automatically play when I click on an album in MyDocuments.. I must manually open the file, and then only the one song that I click will play :thumbsup:

I'm running XPSP2 (upgraded)
512RAM
IE6
PandaTitanium
SpybotS&D
Ad-Aware
Spywareblaster

BC is an awesome website

I would be most grateful if someone can help me

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:02 PM

Save password setting not retained in Outlook or Outlook Express.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290684/en-us

This should be of some help to you.

Have a good Day

#3 lucy1

lucy1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:06 PM

Hi,and thanks for replying..

The article is clear in stating DO NOT remove the Protected Storage system Provider key, I'm not sure if the instructions following the warning would remove it :thumbsup:

I did navigate to the keys; when I did find them, there seemed to be two "administrators/owner" ??

I stopped at that point, not knowing what I should/should not do..

There are strong advisories to stay away from Regedit unless you know what you're doing...is it possible to specifically clarify what I need to do??

Thanks in advance... :flowers:

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 13 May 2006 - 06:51 PM

For going thru this step by step thru the forum all I would be doing is copying and pasting from the KB article. I know that going into the registry and you not being knowledgeable on the registry are right - do not mess with something like this if you know not what you are doing.

I would suggest asking someone you know that knows what is going on or if you do not have that option try this site http://www.apcug.net/ and go to user groups at the top right then directory and user group locater

You should be able to find a user group near you all you have to do is talk to the person and you might find someone in your area that can help you negotiate the registry.

I am suggesting this because it is almost suicide to go thru the registry thru any forum.

One other thing there is a way and it involves calling Microsoft Tech Suppport, I do not know if they will charge for this but they will walk you thru this until you are done. They probably will charge you but it will be done right.

Edited by ThorXP, 13 May 2006 - 06:53 PM.

#5 lucy1

lucy1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 06:53 AM

Thanks very much...

Will go there, and keep you posted :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users