Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pst access denied

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LittleFrog

LittleFrog

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

Ok, I used the program Tweaking Computer from this site.  I have a message out to Shane the program owner but it is Sunday and he may be doing something else. The net result was the used space on the C drive doubled and I can no longer access Outlook.  It is not Outlook because if I rename the pst file it opens as a new instances and makes a new pst file.   So there is something wrong with the pst file itself or the path but the error message does not say "could not find" but rather I don't have the right permissions to open it. 

I've been through the permissions rights assignment drills from within windows and the takeown and icacls process from the cmd line.  All results say that I am fully in charge of the file but it still says access denied. 

Everything else on the computer appears to work ok except Word which opens by complaining about a templete it can't find but then goes to open ok.

I've been at this all day and I've done websearches on many variations of the problem description hoping to find an answer but no joy so far.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:32 PM

MM does sound itneresting, did you try running (outlook.exe /safe) from Run? What about creating a new user on the machine and then opening outlook or any other opffice suite?

You didnt mention which version of outlook so im goign to assume its 2007 or 2010, try running the scanpst for errors.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\SCANPST.EXE"

Note your file location might not be under (86), anwyay see how you go mate.

#3 LittleFrog

LittleFrog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:16 AM

MM does sound itneresting, did you try running (outlook.exe /safe) from Run? What about creating a new user on the machine and then opening outlook or any other opffice suite?

You didnt mention which version of outlook so im goign to assume its 2007 or 2010, try running the scanpst for errors.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\SCANPST.EXE"

Note your file location might not be under (86), anwyay see how you go mate.

No joy of any kind.  robocopy from cmd as administrator reports that I don't have the permissions to make copies.  I was trying the /zb switch.  It also reports that the pst file is read only and i've tried to reset that to read and write several times from several different angles.  Read only would account for a lot of this I think but so far nothing accounts for the manual setting and resetting of read and write permissions persistent failure. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

See the last post here. If that does not work, enable and log into the hidden administrator account (superuser) and see if you can copy or change permissions.

Edit: I would keep a backup of the original of the pst file instead of deleting it as was noted in the post.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 February 2014 - 10:48 AM.

#5 LittleFrog

LittleFrog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

Still no joy.  I may have made mistakes but I tried all of the suggestions and there is no change other than the system has eaten even more space on the C drive.  I think there is a lot of file duplication of one sort or another going on.

There was a pop up ad here a moment ago for some sort of commercial upgrade to the scan pst utility in Win 7.  Does anyone know anything about it  I am thinking about going through the ComboFix process.  Are there any comments about that?

Still no response from Tweaking Computer which I think is connected in some way to this entire bundle of anti-joy.

The pst file is backed up in several locations.

Thanks to everyone.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:27 PM

Before you do a combofix, I would start a thread in the "Am I infected" Forum. I do not know why you would be eating space on the hard drive like that. I have never heard of a pop-up ad to for upgrading to a pst utility unless you installed a trial or something like that. What was the issue that caused you to use the Tweaking utility?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

Does anyone know anything about it  I am thinking about going through the ComboFix process.  Are there any comments about that?

ComboFix is a tool that is used for malware situations...it is not used in this forum (since we don't try to deal with malware).

No DDS, HijackThis, or ComboFix logs - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum-167/announcement-45-no-dds-hijackthis-or-combofix-logs-should-be-posted-in-this-forum/  

If you have malware issues...you should post in a malware forum here at BC, not the Win 7 foruml.

Louis

#8 LittleFrog

LittleFrog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

Shane at Tweaking.com fixed this with amazing computer skills.  The problem did not originate with his Tweaking program but with a mess of incompatible permission assignments and VC runtime errors.  I do not understand much of what he did to fix the problems but they were fixed and the computer runs better than it has for a long time.  My appreciation for what he did is very high.   

Thank you Shane

Littlefrog (Out of the swamp)

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for letting us know :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users