Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very obscure problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 frnorth

frnorth

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

I have a problem with my desktop the OS is Win7 Pro 64bit,

I use this PC to run PLC software across the Ethernet connection that PLC controls my aquarium.

to surf the internet I have a USB wireless connection.

All of the above works great. My problem is some software is trying to access the internet across that ethernet connection which it obviously can't since I have that connected to the  PLC. SolidWorks, Itunes, a couple of online video games cannot connect to the internet because I am getting "cannot connect to server" error messages.

How do I redirect these programs to route through the wireless connection and not across the ethernet connection? 

Things I have tried.

installing the programs and reinstalling them.

Disconnecting my firewall

Adding these programs to the  "allow these programs to connect via windows firewall" settings.

No help all of the above programs still have the same problem, the odd thing is I downloaded Itunes and the video games onto this PC (I am connected right now via this PC the one I am having problems with) but when the game tries to connect to the internet I get the error message.

Anyone out there have any ideas to what I should try next?

Thank you in advance for any info.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:06 PM

What happens if you disconnect the ethernet connection to your PLCs ?  Do these programs connect over wireless then ? Have you tried forcing them to use wi-fi by disabling - even if only temporarily - your ethernet connection ?

I don't pretend to more than a sketchy knowledge of PLCs, I had an introductory course on PLCs when I was in college 20 years ago, but as I understood it, the computer was only used for programming the controllers, after that you left them to get on with it. I am wondering why you appear to need a permanent cabled connection to the PLCs. I can appreciate you wanting to monitor what is going on in the aquarium - I know they can be extremely valuable - but I would not have thought it needed monitoring 24/7.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 frnorth

frnorth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

HI Chris,

Some information is passed back from the PLC to the PC for me to view. I store water parameters (temp, PH, salinity, to name a few) and adjust the light schedule via the PC it is basically my HMI to the PLC. You're right if it were just a PLC running a program I would not need to monitor it, but since it is my tank that is being monitored via the PLC that does need to be passed through and displayed. 

I am going to uninstall a couple of programs disable the ethernet connection and reinstall them and see if possibly that helps.

Edited by frnorth, 16 February 2014 - 07:07 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

Let us know how you get on.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users