Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Audio Devices Installed after update

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scooby5050

scooby5050

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

Hello, I am helping a friend fix his computer. A Dell InspironN5030

There is a red X over the sound icon in the task bar and he has no sound, he belives this started after the last Windows Update. He did have sound before. When I go to Sound in Control Panel a message pops up saying "No audio devices installed." When I go to Services The Windows Audio Properties says "Windows could not start the Windows Audio Service on local computer. Error 1608: The dependency service or group failed to start." When I go to Dependencies the Multimedia Class Scheduler is started. The Remote Procedure Call is started. The DCOM Service Process Launcher is started. The RPC Endpoint Mapper is started. The Windows Audio Endpoint Builder is stopped. When I try to start it I get this message: "Windows could not start the Windows Audio Endpoint Builder Error 999 Error performed in page operation." The Plug and Play is started.

I have ran MalwareBytes, CCleaner, TDSSKiller. I have noticed there are a lot of services stopped but first things first and get the sound going.

Thanks for the help.

Here is the Farber Service Scanner report:

Farbar Service Scanner Version: 16-02-2014
Ran by Mike (administrator) on 16-02-2014 at 12:57:59
Running from "C:\Users\Mike\Downloads"
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium  Service Pack 1 (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal

Internet Services:
============

Connection Status:
==============
Localhost is accessible.
LAN connected.
Google IP is accessible.
Google.com is accessible.
Yahoo.com is accessible.

Windows Firewall:
=============

Firewall Disabled Policy: 
==================

System Restore:
============

System Restore Disabled Policy: 
========================

Action Center:
============

Windows Update:
============

Windows Autoupdate Disabled Policy: 
============================

Windows Defender:
==============
WinDefend Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of WinDefend service is set to Demand. The default start type is Auto.
The ImagePath of WinDefend service is OK.
The ServiceDll of WinDefend service is OK.

Windows Defender Disabled Policy: 
==========================
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
"DisableAntiSpyware"=DWORD:1

Other Services:
==============

File Check:
========
C:\Windows\System32\nsisvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\nsiproxy.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\dhcpcore.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\afd.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\tdx.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\tcpip.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\dnsrslvr.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\mpssvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\bfe.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mpsdrv.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\SDRSVC.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\vssvc.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\wscsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\wbem\WMIsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\qmgr.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\es.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\cryptsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpSvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\ipnathlp.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\iphlpsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\rpcss.dll => MD5 is legit

**** End of log ****

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

First of all, welcome to BC !

As a first step I would go to the Dell web-site and download and install the audiio drivers for your Inspiron and see if that solves your problem. Your Dell probably has a barcode on it somewhere. If you copy the barcode number and type it into the search box on the service page on the Dell web-site you will normally be taken to a page which has all the drivers for your computer - I wish more manufacturers would do this !

If this gets you your sound back, great. If it doesn't, post back.

As for your non-running services, if you go into 'Computer management' you can decide how services you want to run startup. To get there, clcik 'Start', RIGHT click on 'Computer' in the start menu, then click 'Manage' in the drop-down menu that appears. Services are at the bottom of the dialogue box. If you click any service you want to change the startup for, click on the service, then RIGHT click and in the dialogue box that appears you will find the option to change the startup type. Your choices are 'automatic', 'Manual' and 'Disable'.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 scooby5050

scooby5050
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:27 PM

Thanks for the info. I did as you said, went to Dell and downloaded the driver and installed it but it will not run - received an error message that it cannot install. I called Dell and they want $129 for 3 days of service. OUCH! I have also called Microsoft and they tried a new driver but could not get it to work and told me to call Dell.This was working fine a few days ago. 

I saw there was a similar post with the same problem and it was solved but it was for a Vista OS. I'm not sure if I should try it or not. Ideas?

#4 scooby5050

scooby5050
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:54 PM

The post I was referring to was from April 30, 2013 "Windows Audio Service missing..." The problem wsas solved by downloading four .reg entries in the Bleeping Computer win-services/vista/ library. Should I try it?

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,728 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

I would not apply that solution for a number of reasons. First of all, it was for a different computer with a different OS. Secondly, the problem may not have been the same. And finally, making changes in the registry without being extremely certain of what you are doing is one of the quickest ways known to convert a reasonably useful laptop into an expensive paperweight.

I would suggeat that you go into 'Device manager' - click 'Start - Control panel - System' - and in the top left corner you will see 'Device Manger'. If you click on this the Manager will open and you will see a list of the devices on the computer. I would expect you to find that there is a yellow explanation mark (or some similar symbol) against your audio drivers. You will find them towards the bottom called 'sound, video and game controllers'. There will be a + sign beside it. Click on this to expand it, select your audio driver, click on that and you will get a dialogue box with three tabs across the top, the middle one is called 'Drivers'.

If you click on this, you will see an option to update the drivers.Select this and point it at wherever you have the new driver saved, and see if this will install it.

If this doesn't work, you said

This was working fine a few days ago.

Have you tried doing a Restore to a date preceeding the 'few days ago' ?

Chris Cosgrove

#6 scooby5050

scooby5050
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:37 AM

Thanks Chris, I tried that too and it would not update the drivers. I went to Dell's website and it would not update there either. I downloaded the driver and ran it and still nothing but error messages. The "Rollback Driver" was greyed out so I was not able to do that either. I tried every trouble shooter and fix I knew of. He had Restore turned off so there were no Restore points at all.

Yesterday I went into Hardware>Audio and nothing showed up (blank screen) so I am thinking the audio card is out.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,728 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:03 AM

This one is getting beyond my pay-grade, so I took the liberty of seeking advice from a member who knows his Dells and thiis is his opinion :

I think probably "Tweaking.com Windows Repair All in One" will help. Run the tool and press "Unselect All" button to remove default selection. 

Now select only "Restore Important Windows Services" , "Set Windows Services to default Startup" and "Remove policies Set by Infections" options and run the tool. 

If that doesn't seems to help, verify the sound hardware is working by booting from a small sized live Linux like "Puppy".

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

If this doesn't work for you, it has gone beyond me I'm afraid.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users